PDA

View Full Version : Banggai cardinal very aggressive

Megatrev62
09/06/2013, 01:13 AM
Have a single banggai cardinal in a 90 gallon that is very aggressive to the 6 green chromis in the tank. Noticed this for the past 2 nights (very rogue with just actinics on). Tonight the aggression is insane. Will not give them a moments peace. Very weird. He/she has been hanging out in the right front corner of the tank. Is this just territorial behavior?, and if so what can I do about it? And why all of a sudden? I'm really concerned for the safety of the chromis at this point. Any help is much appreciated.

lespaul339
09/06/2013, 07:46 AM
That's strange. My Banggai is the most peaceful fish in my tank. If I were you I would try to add a bigger fish to your tank and that might help out with some of it's aggression.

Rea17
09/06/2013, 08:48 AM
Try skipping the dusk cycle on your lights and have them turn straight off. Evening is usually the most territorial time for fish since everyone is getting ready to bed down. This isn't a long term solution, but worth trying until you figure out what is causing the aggression.

peasofme
09/06/2013, 09:05 AM
remove the aggressive fish

Megatrev62
09/06/2013, 11:16 AM
Try skipping the dusk cycle on your lights and have them turn straight off. Evening is usually the most territorial time for fish since everyone is getting ready to bed down. This isn't a long term solution, but worth trying until you figure out what is causing the aggression.

Well I have DIY leds and got a second controller just so I could have the Royal Blues come on separately. Although I'm sure this aggression is exactly as you described. This is only toward the chromis and just started happening. When the lights turn on in the afternoon, I don't see this happening. Just weird.

Megatrev62
09/06/2013, 11:18 AM
remove the aggressive fish

Hate to remove the fish but in the meantime, I may have to. The thing is, I may remove the chromis instead. I think I'm going to try a small rescape of the tank over the weekend, and see if it calms down.

Megatrev62
09/06/2013, 11:25 AM
That's strange. My Banggai is the most peaceful fish in my tank. If I were you I would try to add a bigger fish to your tank and that might help out with some of it's aggression.

Yes very peaceful fish. Have a yellow tang and some other fish, but this behavior just started and he just hates the chromis for some reason lately. Thanks

peasofme
09/06/2013, 11:27 AM
chromis are very submissive, seemingly peaceful fish end up picking on them.

Megatrev62
09/07/2013, 01:11 PM
It is happening only at dusk. Seems I live with it or I have to skip the actinics. Cheers

unchin
09/08/2013, 11:48 AM
Bangai are nocturnal. Are u guys sure just stopping actinics will help? They'll probably still be active.

Megatrev62
09/22/2013, 11:12 AM
Had to remove banggai twice now since introducing a 4 stripe damsel. Presently in a 15 gallon segregated. Thought all was good after removing and the reintroducing the banggai but no way. Two days later he was chasing and 4 stripe like African cichlids.(No peace at all, driving him up in the corner). Will leave him in the 15 for a week or so and put back in. If he goes at it again well I guess the damsel would be done for. No way am I breaking the tank down to catch the damsel

This banggai is the most aggressive I have ever heard of.

kyocera
09/22/2013, 12:23 PM
Give it to a fellow reefer.:lol2:

aquaph8
09/22/2013, 12:32 PM
Mines a jerk too but is all bark. Have you though of trying to pair him up?

Megatrev62
09/22/2013, 12:32 PM
Give it to a fellow reefer.:lol2:

lol. Might consider it.

Megatrev62
09/22/2013, 12:34 PM
Mines a jerk too but is all bark. Have you though of trying to pair him up?

No never tried. No idea if male or female. In the meantime I would love to have a pair as I did before. Maybe keep him/her in the 15 and go for it. :hmm5: