PDA

View Full Version : Does this make sense?

mooch1982
09/06/2013, 08:29 AM
Hey guys,

So my tank is a prodibio (biodigest, bioptim, reefbooster) dosed tank. I have had zero nitrates for well over 8 months now, and phosphates between .03-.07 with GFO (BRS HC) reactor (fluctuates based on feedings). I have dosed Amino acids at the full reccomended amount (Elos) for some time, and feed twice per day with frozen foods. I also dose Oyster feast 4-5 time per week after lights out.

So last week, I decided to unplug my GFO reactor, and up my amino acid dosing from 15 drops to 20 drop. I have been testing daily after doing so, and have notied that my phosphates have started dropping. All the brown algae on sand bed also went away, and glass never had to be cleaned all week. I have been consistenly getting 0-.03 for the last 5 days with not change in my feeding schedule. I am still getting zero nitrates as per my Red Sea Pro test kit.

Is it possible that the amino acids are increasing the C (Carbon) from the C:N:P ration and further reducing my phosphates?

Funny thing is, phosphates read .02-.03 at 6am (5 hours after dosing amino acids) and usually test at 0 at 6pm rather consistenly.

By the way, since I consistenly test zero for nitrates, I was thinking of dosing some sodium nitrate to get a reading of 1 ppm.

Thoughts?

jdezek
09/06/2013, 01:06 PM
Sounds like the amino acid is working better for you. I ran GFO and had brown algae growing on sand as well so I tried phoseguard and found it works alot better on my tank, as I don't get the brown film on my sand or glass.

bertoni
09/06/2013, 11:39 PM
That scenario seems reasonable enough to me. Our tanks are fairly complicated ecosystems, so a change like that could have a lot of effects.

As far as dosing nitrate, is there a specific goal you have in mind?

tmz
09/07/2013, 09:55 AM
For the last couple of months ,I've been using sodium nitrate or aspartic acid ( an amino) acid to increase nitrogen levels in a system dosed with organic carbon( vodka and vinegar).
I like to keep the nitrates at around 0.5 to 1ppm. I do not want to go any higher. high nitrates can be deadly for certain sps, particularly seritopora,ime
It takes a very small dose about 1/3 tsp of either every 10 days or so for a 650 gallon system to get a tinge of pink on the salifert test..There has been no noticeable change in PO4 levels which I was hoping for as an additional benefit . At least , I don't have to worry about a nitrogen deficiency and coral colors seem a bit richer.The lps in the system seem to like the extra aspartate.

Oddly , every three days I add a little extra food ,flakes, krill and nori; the PO4 is consistently .02ppm lower (from 0.04ppm to 0.02ppm)
on the day following the extra food,perhaps it has something to do with ammonia or extra organics being generated by the extra food.

mooch1982
09/07/2013, 01:03 PM
That scenario seems reasonable enough to me. Our tanks are fairly complicated ecosystems, so a change like that could have a lot of effects.

As far as dosing nitrate, is there a specific goal you have in mind?

Yes, so my phosphates do fluctuate from 0-.03 and I want to be able to test 0 phosphates consistently. I also believe that having a very small trace of nitrates may can be beneficial for sps. I always test zero for nitrates, and would like to keep my nitrates at 1-2 ppm. This should help keep phosphates at zero in theory.

mooch1982
09/07/2013, 01:07 PM
For the last couple of months ,I've been using sodium nitrate or aspartic acid ( an amino) acid to increase nitrogen levels in a system dosed with organic carbon( vodka and vinegar).
I like to keep the nitrates at around 0.5 to 1ppm. I do not want to go any higher. high nitrates can be deadly for certain sps, particularly seritopora,ime
It takes a very small dose about 1/3 tsp of either every 10 days or so for a 650 gallon system to get a tinge of pink on the salifert test..There has been no noticeable change in PO4 levels which I was hoping for as an additional benefit . At least , I don't have to worry about a nitrogen deficiency and coral colors seem a bit richer.The lps in the system seem to like the extra aspartate.

Oddly , every three days I add a little extra food ,flakes, krill and nori; the PO4 is consistently .02ppm lower (from 0.04ppm to 0.02ppm)
on the day following the extra food,perhaps it has something to do with ammonia or extra organics being generated by the extra food.

My sps have improved with feedings extra, but I have also been battling some faded colors. I do also believe Nitrates can help, but only if kept below 5ppm. 1-2 being ideal which is what I am striving for with sodium nitrate.

I actually upped my aminos to see if I could register some nitrates, but no luck (results was lower phosphates!). I do not want to add any extra organics, so decided that adding sodium nitrate would be best.

bertoni
09/07/2013, 03:22 PM
Well, you can try to add more sodium nitrate. At some point, the level should start to go up.