PDA

View Full Version : SWC Xtreme HOB or HOT sounding like a boat

Bayinaung
09/06/2013, 03:19 PM
Hi guys,

I got this SWC Xtreme HOB skimmer (or as they call it Hang On Tank or HOT). got it set up. From what I had read it was supposed to be quiet but it sounds like a boat, albeit low octave. It's in my living room and the sound is a bit disconcerting, especially at night when I like things to be quiet. Is it because of the air intake or is it the pump vibrating the skimmer?

Bayinaung
09/08/2013, 11:33 AM
Tanks for the help! awesome community!

Kyuss
09/08/2013, 12:27 PM
Seems like something that would be easy to diagnose with the unit in hand, rather than with a four sentence explanation. Heck, you might even try searching and see people that actually have the unit discussing the noise level of it and how they fixed it. SWC Xtreme Hang on tank skimmer review (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1674734)

Bayinaung
09/08/2013, 01:53 PM
Yup I have. I have read through everything on the skimmer on this website and other areas.

I have stopped it and restarted it again, and the boat sound is GONE. Right now the sound it makes is the low hum, like that of an air pump. the skimmer works fine. It must have been the way air intake was positioned or something. Not sure.

moe458
12/10/2013, 10:14 AM
SWC XTREME HANG ON TANK

I wrote a review on the site for this skimmer a couple of times but SWC removed it everytime.

I have this for 2 years and i will never buy swc crap again. This skimmer is extremely loud..it's loud when you buy it and then you get use it sort of thing..lol

it overflows and its very difficult to clean the cup. 1.5 years into this skimmer and it's starting to die out on me there is not enough bubbles to produce the gunk on top. alot of times it makes the extra bubbles in the display tank which i hate the most..you see alot of small bubbles in the display tank which looks crap. DO not buy this junk