PDA

View Full Version : Questions about cycling

Erik2514
09/06/2013, 03:22 PM
So I've been cycling a tank with live rock and live sand for about a week now. I didn't see any changes in any of my levels when testing. I took the initiative last night and used a piece of shrimp. I saw an immediate spike in ammonia this morning about 10 hours later at 8 this morning... I tested the water again at 4 oclock just to see where I was at... My nitrites are starting to spike while my ammonia is dropping is it normal to see changes that fast? I wasn't sure if I had a good base of bacteria since it was cycling with live sand and cured live rock for a week and it's only a 29 gallon aquarium.

Reefman29
09/06/2013, 03:26 PM
I would say that with using cured live rock and sand that the cycle would have most likely been pretty small. I would wait at least another week to 2 weeks before adding anything and make sure to re-test in another week and definitely before any additions.

Erik2514
09/06/2013, 03:32 PM
Ok I haven't tested nitrates yet... But my nitrites are spiking now so I'm gunna let it continue and see if my nitrates spike and go from there let it run for a week or so test again and then slowly add

brandon429
09/06/2013, 04:43 PM
also, isnt this the tank that has about 80% non live rock, and 20% live rock

that makes a difference, as the major part is still uncycled. it takes a while to get the rest seeded if this is the same tank from the other thread