PDA

View Full Version : New clown is fine, big female is hiding

spartachris
09/06/2013, 07:29 PM
So I have a nice occellaris for a couple of years. She had a friend who bullied her so I got rid of it years ago. She's been alone now for two years.

About a month ago I transferred everything from the old tank to a new 125. All was good. So I bought a new small occellaris and the two immediately became friendly. They stayed that way for about five days.

But yesterday I noticed my big old one hiding in the rocks. New guy is fine, as are the other fish. No one is being bullied that I can see.

Any clue why she is suddenly hiding? When I can spot her she looks fine.

Thanks.

worm5406
09/06/2013, 10:25 PM
Safety... That is where she is safe... It will take some time.

mpfeiffer1
09/06/2013, 10:31 PM
Could be that she may be protecting some eggs. Were they showing signs of spawning. You know the side ways dancing?

shifty51008
09/06/2013, 10:36 PM
i highly doubt it is eggs if the male was just intoduced about a week ago.

I am guessing the saftey part also.

spartachris
09/07/2013, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the replies. I killed the lights and watched this morning. She is out again, but close to where she was hiding. Now she is picking at a place on a rock near the hidey hole. Yes, she did a dance with the new guy the first and second day he got in the tank. I'll keep an eye on them and let you know what happens next.

spartachris
09/07/2013, 06:42 PM
So here's my theory:

She was the smaller back when I had two. As said before, the other was mean as heck and tormented her after killing a previous. So I got rid of meany, the larger, leaving only the smaller, who is nice. Which meant she was the male....

Now that she is big and suddenly a smaller guy shows up she realizes she should be a female and is now going through "the change." No, not that change. Sex change, but without high priced surgery.

I've never gone through a sex change, but I imagine it's embarrassing, to say the least. Or maybe just stressful. So she's hiding while stressed. And once she comes out beautiful and sexy, then things will be good for her. And for her new friend.

Of course, I'm no biologist.

spartachris
09/11/2013, 09:40 PM
Whatever the case, she's doing better now and seems very happy.