PDA

View Full Version : Successful refugiums

REEForBANG
09/07/2013, 01:58 PM
Hey guys & gals I'm looking to set up a succesful refugium what I mean by that is a refugium that you really notice it by its filtration I currently have a 60gal sump with 5gals area full of cheato I want to add miracle mud and some mangroves but I'm not 100% on the way I want to do it I was thinking of plumbing a Rubbermaid bin next to it full of mangroves and different macro algae. My DT is 200gals grow out 60gal both mixed reef med bio load ....please comment on what you think would be best and if possible share photographs of your set up & tips off the method.

shifty51008
09/07/2013, 02:28 PM
on my 75 gal. tank I run a 50 gal fuge with cheato and some other type of maco (got it with the .01 sale from reef cleaners) and a 100 gal sump. with these 2 things it keeps my tank nitrate and phosphate levels way low even with my big bioload (my sig isn't updated). I have even gotten to the point where I have turned off my skimmer just to try and get my nitrates to raise a little bit.

I have never tried mangroves yet so I can't comment on how well they work but they do look cool.

so all in all I would say the biggest you can go is great but because of my low nitrates and phosphates I beleive it is also the reason for my slower coral growth.

REEForBANG
09/07/2013, 02:45 PM
Did you notice if the lps looked better before or after or no change.

saltyair
09/07/2013, 02:45 PM
my refug is a reef lifesaver - lots of pods low NO3 and PO4 - my cheto keeps ugly algae from the DT.

Mine is only 25 gal (part of my 65 sump) under my 180 gal mixed reef

shifty51008
09/07/2013, 03:30 PM
my corals look great just the slowed growth part, IMO they look better now then when I only had a 30 gal sump/fuge

REEForBANG
09/07/2013, 05:02 PM
Nice I'm thinking as far as the mangroves go adding 1 per 10gal of water so 30 mangroves would be ideal for me I've been reading that you need a lot of them to notice the difference.