PDA

View Full Version : LED with a center brace...

svavrek
09/07/2013, 06:03 PM
So, I have a 46 bow front and need a new light to upgrade to. Due to its center brace, I was considering the Maxspect R420r 120W since the fan would be over the brace, allowing the two led packs to be on the sides but the $420 price tag is a bit more than I can spend for a while. So, options? The Radions are out, too. I was looking into the Reef Breeders Value, $179 and a 2 year warranty, but then the center brace would block some light... just want to get your thoughts on the light and any options I'd have.

Snook65
09/07/2013, 06:19 PM
I have a center brace on my Oceanic 120 (2'x4'x4') and running the Reefbreeders Photon 32" LED. I'm happy with the light. I just make sure to keep my glass brace clean.

kurt_n
09/09/2013, 01:25 PM
I feel your pain. 46g bowfront here also. You'll hear many folks talk about replacing the black plastic brace with an acrylic one so the light will go through, but I'm too much of a chicken! I've chatted with a person here on the forum that had the longer Maxpect over his 46g and he mentioned an obvious shadow.

You might look at the 36" fixtures at buildmyled. I've been eyeing those recently. You'd loose some light, but it'd be no different than a fluorescent bulb.

svavrek
09/10/2013, 06:28 AM
Kind of thinkingaybe using two Apollo Nano with two T5 actinics...