PDA

View Full Version : Controller for a FOWLR

airplanes1016
09/08/2013, 11:53 AM
Looking to add a controller to my build. I have narrowed it down to a APEX. The question I have is, are you guys using a full version or the lite, or Jr?

Thanks in advance.

SDguy
09/08/2013, 12:31 PM
What would you like to control? That may help answer your question.

I personally don't use one on my FOWLR. Other than lights (which use mechanical timers), and a heater (which has a ranco), there's nothing that needs controlling.

airplanes1016
09/08/2013, 12:46 PM
What would you like to control? That may help answer your question.

I personally don't use one on my FOWLR. Other than lights (which use mechanical timers), and a heater (which has a ranco), there's nothing that needs controlling.

I'am a ride along mechanic for Delta airlines, and Im gone so much with work. Sometimes weeks at a time. Ive had everything that can happen while ive been away. I know I need one. (plus there way cool) I would love to include one on my new build. One day when I grow up I will have a real job thats m-f 9-5. Till then.

SDguy
09/08/2013, 12:51 PM
Again, I'm not sure what you want to control.

If you are gone for long periods, you need an auto topoff, and an auto feeder. Neither of those are controlled by a controller.

jjk_reef00
09/08/2013, 03:27 PM
I have a profilux from when I use to have a reef. I use it for the following:
- control lights
- ATO on my skimmer bucket (turns the skimmer off when the skimmer collection bucket gets full)
- Controll all my pumps (I turn them on/off from my computer instead of flipping switches or pulling cords)
- I use to use it for my Tunze pumps but now have a tunze controller
- I use to use it to dose vodka but I sold the doser since it was overkill
- I use to use it for my superfeeder autofeeder but many of my fish will not eat dry goods

So I use it for two functions, and the pump control is convenience for me when I'm cleaning the skimmer or doing water changes.

IMO if you think they are cool get the full up version so you don't feel the need to upgrade later.
Otherwise you can get by fine without one as long as you plan your electric the right way.

NTP66
09/09/2013, 10:41 AM
Again, I'm not sure what you want to control.

If you are gone for long periods, you need an auto topoff, and an auto feeder. Neither of those are controlled by a controller.

Depends on what hardware you use, but the Eheim feeder (which is what I use on both of my tanks when I'm away) can be easily modified to be connected to an Apex. I know there are others that also use it for their ATO systems (limiting the amount of time the pump can actually run), too. Either way, yeah, it depends on what you want to control.

Personally, I opted for the Apex Jr., as I was only concerned about running my LEDs, powerheads, and heaters on the controller - all of which it does a great job with. I only needed 4 outlets to do all of this, but if I needed more, I'd have probably gone with the full Apex. Unless you need more outlets up front and will be doing anything with a breakout box, the Jr. is probably fine.

ryeguyy84
09/09/2013, 10:59 AM
plus the apex is supposed to be coming out with an auto feeder soon. just something to think about.

luisagos
09/09/2013, 02:10 PM
Profilux can do everything you want, the software is built in plus the custom programming you can do. For me its the best controller now that you can buy.

Now with that being said I am designing a new controller here is a peek at it.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sEnNxj6Fja0?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CenterConsole
09/10/2013, 05:57 AM
If you are gone for long periods, a controller can also be hooked up to the Internet so you can monitor everything from your job. Also alarms would be another added bonus, just make sure you have a reliable tank sitter that could come over and help.

AMejia03
09/10/2013, 07:36 AM
I have a FOWLR, and I have the apex lite, I use it to turn on and off my lights, my pumps, I have two MP40's and plan on getting the wxm module to control them. I get alerted via email which is a good feature for temp spikes during the summer.

anbosu
09/10/2013, 08:50 PM
If you're really worried about it get a controller an ip web camera. Then you can log in to check out the tank and control stuff if you need to.

shse666
09/10/2013, 11:22 PM
I'm absolutely adding a controller to my FOWLR 715G tank. I want to know everything about it when I'm away from home. If someone has pointers on a flow monitor for an Apex, I'm on board assuming its reasonably priced.