PDA

View Full Version : ATL miyagi tort advice

ksicard
09/08/2013, 01:33 PM
I received a frag of ATL Miyagi Tort from a good source that always sends healthy frags. I use this source in particular since his tank has led's and so does mine so it's better to already have led acclimated corals when I add them to my tank. Basically the person who sent me the frag blasts his sps with led's and it seems the miyagi tort has turned fully purple/blue and doesnt have that green coloration that so many have. He attributes it to the tort being blasted with light so I currently have the frag at the bottom 1/3 of my tank since my led's are pretty high in intensity but not as intense as his.

Do you think having it in the bottom 1/3 of the tank will bring the green coloration back? If anyone has any tips or tricks on getting the green to show please fill me in. I have a 40x turn ove rate so plenty of flow in the tank, and paramteres remain rock stable so no big fluctuations.

Thanks!

Trevor40
09/08/2013, 06:31 PM
I would think your correct in assuming it will get more green under less light. I have mine toward the top 2/3 under 8 bulb T5 fixture and it doesn't have as much green as it did lower under a 150MH where it was previously.

jda
09/08/2013, 06:44 PM
This is not likely an intensity thing. It is more likely that it is a spectrum thing. I can put mine 4" under some metal halides and the green just pops even more.

ksicard
09/08/2013, 06:58 PM
the previous owner only had a blue/white fixture and i have a full spectrum setup so hopefully he'll color up in time. I've only had him two weeks. Any tips on bringing the green out?

ct_vol
09/08/2013, 07:06 PM
This is not likely an intensity thing. It is more likely that it is a spectrum thing. I can put mine 4" under some metal halides and the green just pops even more.

I agree. Same situation here.

Give it time.

footballdude2k3
09/08/2013, 09:59 PM
Now that you have some advice, picture time.

jda
09/09/2013, 10:05 AM
Please read up on coral lighting. It will matter with your LEDs. Here is a summary: your LEDs are not full spectrum - they are "more" spectrum, but not "full." The light "colors" the corals in two different ways. First: reflection, which is where you want true full spectrum so that the best color can be reflected by the coral - most use this as a sunscreen. Second: use, the coral uses the higher energy light and spits back out lower energy light higher in the spectrum.

This is why corals can look so different under different kinds of lights. It is also possible that the blue/white combo was better for this particular coral, but only time will tell. I do agree to give it time and wait and see, but it might be totally possible that this is what it will look like under your spectrum. I might suggest that you keep your expectations reasonable - if you want the coral to look like your friend's then get the same light.

ksicard
09/09/2013, 01:57 PM
Please read up on coral lighting. It will matter with your LEDs. Here is a summary: your LEDs are not full spectrum - they are "more" spectrum, but not "full." The light "colors" the corals in two different ways. First: reflection, which is where you want true full spectrum so that the best color can be reflected by the coral - most use this as a sunscreen. Second: use, the coral uses the higher energy light and spits back out lower energy light higher in the spectrum.

This is why corals can look so different under different kinds of lights. It is also possible that the blue/white combo was better for this particular coral, but only time will tell. I do agree to give it time and wait and see, but it might be totally possible that this is what it will look like under your spectrum. I might suggest that you keep your expectations reasonable - if you want the coral to look like your friend's then get the same light.

My led's are full spectrum according to what is considered full spectrum for led's, I was just using the term that everyone uses when it comes to led's sorry for the confusion. I'm just going to give it time and see if it changes in my tank. Thanks for the advice everyone.