PDA

View Full Version : Should I worry about my Green Wrasse?

FsuNole
09/09/2013, 03:09 PM
I have a Green Cromis Wrasse and reciently picked up some zoas from my LFS. I've seen him hovering near them and every once and a while my girlfriend swears he picks at it when I'm not looking. I looked at live aquaria and he is under the non reef compatible wrasse section. zoas and mushrooms were all I was planning on keeping but I'm wondering if these two aren't going to mix well... Anyone know anything about these fish?

Misled
09/09/2013, 05:06 PM
It's not the wrasse you have to worry about, it's the corals.

FsuNole
09/09/2013, 05:48 PM
It's not the wrasse you have to worry about, it's the corals.

So then you think he will start picking at them? Even though it was a cheap fish I really do enjoy it.

Misled
09/09/2013, 06:27 PM
No real way to know. He may do nothing for a couple years, then just go off. Keep him feed well.

greech
09/09/2013, 06:41 PM
Are we talking about a green coris wrasse? I have always known them to be coral safe but not invert safe. They will take out crabs, snails, worms (including fan worms) which may be why he is checking out the zoas.

hogfanreefer
09/09/2013, 08:03 PM
Are we talking about a green coris wrasse? I have always known them to be coral safe but not invert safe. They will take out crabs, snails, worms (including fan worms) which may be why he is checking out the zoas.

Me too. I have two Halichoeres wrasse and they have never picked at any coral. They are pod eaters and pick at rocks all day long. I bet they are not picking at the zoas but at something on or near them that they see.

FsuNole
09/09/2013, 09:22 PM

Yes it's a green coris wrass. looks like this guy (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/detailed_image.cfm?pCatId=331)

eatbreakfast
09/10/2013, 06:18 AM
He is probably just picking at pods that are on the zoas.

Dapg8gt
09/10/2013, 06:54 AM
Yeah I agree that he's just picking at the pods and such hiding in the zoas. I've had one for a while also and it does the same thing. Any new piece I add to the tank he literally doesn't let it hit the floor before he's all over it. Never had any coral issues other than a few plugs knocked over from him hitting them fwiw..

Mine has been pretty good considering their reputation. I've had a harlequin in there with him for the last 6 months and he doesn't touch it.. I have noticed him harassing the hermits though =). Tough little fish never bothers anyone but when someone tries to bully it it will without a doubt defend itself..

FsuNole
09/10/2013, 06:40 PM
Do yours hide a lot? I noticed he is out in the morning and afternoon, but come evening time when I'm actually home he is always buried in the sand. I've had him for probably 2 weeks now

eatbreakfast
09/10/2013, 08:05 PM
He will be out later and later. He just needs to readjust his circadian rhythm.

Dapg8gt
09/10/2013, 10:39 PM
No mine is out all day.. He comes out about an hour before the lights kick on till right about when the actinic turn off.. I can always tell when he goes to sleep cause of the dust storm lol..

My tank is way heavy on coral and I couldn't figure out why this one spot on the sand always had frags blown around.. Turns out its his spot ha ha.. Learned to not acclimate frags in that spot anymore..