PDA

View Full Version : Alk

Psionicdragon
09/10/2013, 12:22 AM
Hihi everyone,

What would cause Alk to continually rise when nothing is being dosed?

Earlier last week, I had a snafu! I turned off my alk on the BM doser to start lowering it from 12-8, but continue to run calcium as it was still being drained. The calcium was hoovering around 450. Well a few days afterwards, the Calcium started to climb. It went over 500.

I since turned off everything end of the week and my Alk has been rising from 10-12.5 and calcium still hoovering around 510-520.

These are being tested with Salifert. They are not expired.

Any ideas? I have never seen anything like this before.

Thanks

disc1
09/10/2013, 12:34 PM
Any pH buffers? They add alkalinity. That's the most common cause.

Psionicdragon
09/10/2013, 01:14 PM
Nada. Have not dosed anything since I turned off the doser.

blanden.adam
09/10/2013, 01:27 PM
If nothing at all is being added to the aquarium, then there really is no place alk can be coming from. So, the only place those readings can come from is testing error. The lack of the levels dropping can be explained by decreased consumption, but not an increase :/.

Psionicdragon
09/10/2013, 02:25 PM
If nothing at all is being added to the aquarium, then there really is no place alk can be coming from. So, the only place those readings can come from is testing error. The lack of the levels dropping can be explained by decreased consumption, but not an increase :/.

That is what i thought and would've agree; however, i tested with two different salifert from two different vendors :( so...i am at a loss.

downbeach
09/10/2013, 02:54 PM
Any possibility you have developed a siphon/leak from your alk container through your pump?

disc1
09/10/2013, 03:34 PM
Any large water changes recently that might have affected it?

Psionicdragon
09/10/2013, 06:39 PM
No water change. Let me look at the doser though. That does make sense; however, i thought Bubble Magus dosers don't leak when its off?

Btw thanks for everyone pitching in :)ugh already lost some sps because of the increase.

Psionicdragon
09/10/2013, 08:48 PM
No leaks on the doser.

I found the test solution that comes with the Alk kit from Salifert.

Test solution should have DKH of 6.7. The test shows 8.6. There is a variance of 2.1. Taking that into account, my dkh should be around 10dkh since it was around 12dkh.

blanden.adam
09/10/2013, 09:58 PM
From one test to the next, how consistant are you?

Psionicdragon
09/10/2013, 10:09 PM
From one test to the next, how consistant are you?

Pretty consistent.

Basically this is what I do for all tests:

Rinse container with fresh water, then rinse in tank water.
Shake out all the liquid
Using a plastic syringe, pump a few time to clean out any old water that was lodged in from prior test.
Measure out to 4 ml, 5ml, or 2 ml depending on test.
Shake the test regeants for 10-20 seconds.
Carefully drop vertically
Suck up syringe until where the end becomes the top (black tip) for salifert.
Then drip drip from 1/2 mark.

bertoni
09/10/2013, 10:43 PM
The only other stealth source of alkalinity that comes to mind is tap water. I'm not sure what's happening here, but I'd likely replace the alkalinity kit at this point.

Psyops
09/11/2013, 02:52 PM
Welcome to the Twilight Zone of water testing.

Psionicdragon
09/12/2013, 07:25 PM
I think I may found the source, but want to run it by you guys/gals first.

My friend suggested the rock leaching, but I almost refuted it as I used to use live/dead rocks.

But this time around when I reset up the tank, I used DIY. I used portland cement type 2-5...

Could that be the source?

disc1
09/12/2013, 07:42 PM
Absolutely. You're supposed to do a long cure on that stuff until it stops leaching alkalinity and raising pH.

Psionicdragon
09/12/2013, 07:54 PM
Absolutely. You're supposed to do a long cure on that stuff until it stops leaching alkalinity and raising pH.

Ack. I thought 6 months of curing was enough...I guess not.

Thanks everyone for helping me resolve the "unknown source"