PDA

View Full Version : Using old live rock

moze229
09/10/2013, 09:32 AM
I've read numerous threads talking about bleach, muriatic acid, cooking, etc. I don't think any of these methods apply to what I'm trying to do. Since I can't seem to decide exactly what I should do, I'll let the fine members here at RC decide. :)

I have a small tank. I also recently decided that I would change the substrate and perhaps add a couple of pieces of live rock. I already have about 20lbs in the system that's been there for a few years, but I just want to add a couple of pieces from my stash. My stash consists of live rock that was removed from a working system, simply rinsed and allowed to dry. It's been living in a dark rubbermaid container since.

I don't need to 'kill' anything on the rock, since everything is obviously dead, so I don't think bleach is useful here. I also never had phosphate be an issue, so I don't think the acid is needed. The only thing I'm concerned with is the left over 'stuff' that's in the rock. I just need a way to get that out/off of the rock. Will rinsing/power-washing the rock be enough to add a piece or two to my tank WITHOUT CAUSING A CYCLE?

Sugar Magnolia
09/10/2013, 12:54 PM
Why not just plop it into a 5 gallon bucket with a powerhead and heater and let it cycle in there for a few weeks?

Cstaricansrfer1
09/10/2013, 01:32 PM
That was my first thought too. Maybe check it periodically to see if any phosphates are being released. I personally like the preventative approach rather than having to deal with something that could have been avoided.

SGT_York
09/10/2013, 01:52 PM
If there are phosphates bound to the rock the acid will save so much work. Literally 12 months on my first tank before the phosphates were gone. A simple acid was would have saved so much elbow grease! If you know the rock's history then you are probably fine just cycling it in a bucket, if you bought is used and don't know much about its owner do the acid bath!

Cstaricansrfer1
09/10/2013, 01:58 PM
I do agree that an acid bath would be more beneficial as I have had good luck with this procedure. It is a simple process that can be very effective.

Paul B
09/10/2013, 02:41 PM
I know you don't want to use bleach, but that is the way to go. I have been bleaching live rock since the 70s. The algae and other living things that died on that rock that you can not see will be oxidized by bleach.
You need to use "Regular" Chloring bleach, no scents or easy pour features. About a cup of bleach in a five gallon bucket of water will do it.
Rinse it well and let it air dry for a few days.
Power washing will not do it nor will acid.

moze229
09/10/2013, 07:22 PM
First of all, thank you all for the input!

Why not just plop it into a 5 gallon bucket with a powerhead and heater and let it cycle in there for a few weeks?

Well, I could do that. But, I don't want to wait a few weeks. :) I wanted to get my substrate changed and rock added in the next few days. Since the rock is already dead and I'm not trying to save anything, I'd rather just nuke it somehow and be done with it.

If there are phosphates bound to the rock the acid will save so much work. Literally 12 months on my first tank before the phosphates were gone. A simple acid was would have saved so much elbow grease! If you know the rock's history then you are probably fine just cycling it in a bucket, if you bought is used and don't know much about its owner do the acid bath!

Good points. However, I'm familiar with the history of this rock. While it likely has some traceable amounts of phosphate, it shouldn't be anything concerning. It was in my system previously, so I am somewhat familiar with its history.

I know you don't want to use bleach, but that is the way to go. I have been bleaching live rock since the 70s. The algae and other living things that died on that rock that you can not see will be oxidized by bleach.
You need to use "Regular" Chloring bleach, no scents or easy pour features. About a cup of bleach in a five gallon bucket of water will do it.
Rinse it well and let it air dry for a few days.
Power washing will not do it nor will acid.

This was definitely part of my original thoughts. I kept going back and forth on whether or not it was needed, since there was nothing essentially alive on or in the rock. I didn't consider the oxidation part. I felt relatively good about my final thoughts after I saw your input. Your reef is older than I am (but not by much). :)

In the end, I decided on bleach. I likely used a little too much, but as long as its rinsed well and allowed to air dry it should be fine. I'll likely let it sit in a tub with a little vinegar added for a day after the bleach soak just to try and offset the bleach. (I know it's likely unneeded, but it'll just make me feel better.) Or I could just change the water and add some Prime or something. I just want a couple pieces of rock that I can add to my system without the danger of causing a spike of any kind. If I had a larger system I really wouldn't worry about it. But I'm dealing with ~20 gallons of water and SPS.

saf1
09/10/2013, 07:44 PM
Figured I'd ask because I really don't know.

Why does it matter? Not trying to ask a rhetorical question, sorry. I had some old rock and I just let it sit outside in the sun for about a week or two. Rinsed it to chase out the spiders and other insects that called it home, and placed it in the tank...

MARINECRITTERS
09/10/2013, 07:48 PM
When you say "rinsed", did you use rodi water, if not the tap water could be absorbed into the rock and slowly leached out into the system.
I personally vinegar soaked my live rock for a few days and seemed to work.

saf1
09/10/2013, 09:12 PM
When you say "rinsed", did you use rodi water, if not the tap water could be absorbed into the rock and slowly leached out into the system.
I personally vinegar soaked my live rock for a few days and seemed to work.

Oh, for me this was a few years ago. I was only asking about the bleach and other methods. I was wondering why or what it did rather than say baking or leaving out in the weather or such.

Its more one of those things in that I was just curious and wondering I guess.

moze229
09/10/2013, 09:32 PM
Figured I'd ask because I really don't know.

Why does it matter? Not trying to ask a rhetorical question, sorry.

See post #6. :)

mpfeiffer1
09/10/2013, 09:46 PM
I just went thru buying some rock on craigslist that looked great but by the time i got it into the tank- nitrates and phosphates skyrocketed. If you only need a few pounds- might be better just to buy some nice dry rock and have your 20 lbs seed it. It does not take long and no headaches to worry about. Your old rock probably looks like dry-rock now anyway.

moze229
09/10/2013, 09:53 PM
I just went thru buying some rock on craigslist that looked great but by the time i got it into the tank- nitrates and phosphates skyrocketed. If you only need a few pounds- might be better just to buy some nice dry rock and have your 20 lbs seed it. It does not take long and no headaches to worry about. Your old rock probably looks like dry-rock now anyway.

Good point. If only a small amount is needed, it's likely better, as you say, to just pick up some dry stuff. But I'm one of those people that doesn't like to let anything go to waste. If I already have it, I'm going to use it. There's really no sense in me buying more live rock, especially when I only need a piece or two, when I have a whole tub of it in my basement that's not being used.

Now, in your case I would have used muriatic acid. Since you don't know the history of the rock, it's best to remove not only the organics, but the outer layer of rock to remove as much possible locked-in phosphates. Of course, this is drastic, and only would be done in the event that you are adding to a tank with livestock. If you're setting up a new tank, likely not as critical but I'd still do it anyway.

I too saw an ad recently for live rock. It was a large amount - likely more than I would ever use, but it came out to .89 cents a pound. I should have went and picked it up. LOL

mussel and hate
09/10/2013, 10:23 PM
undefined

Vadafallon
12/09/2013, 01:14 PM
I have some old rock that i would like to do this too as well. I was thinking of soaking it in bleach, then using some prime when i rinse it. Then setting it out for a few weeks. Then plopping it in a bucket and letting it cycle for more weeks. Is that overkill?

moze229
12/09/2013, 02:17 PM
I have some old rock that i would like to do this too as well. I was thinking of soaking it in bleach, then using some prime when i rinse it. Then setting it out for a few weeks. Then plopping it in a bucket and letting it cycle for more weeks. Is that overkill?

Not needed. When I did mine, I soaked overnight in a bleach solution, soaked overnight in a Prime solution (not really needed), then let it completely dry out outside. That's all you need to do. As I was told, chlorine is just chlorine gas bound into liquid. Once the liquid dries, the gas is gone. Following this method, I've had no problems. The rocks that I added are already covered in coralline algae.

darb85
12/09/2013, 03:37 PM
i didnt boil/cook old dead rock and paid for it with phosphate outbreak and huge algea issues. im finally ahead of it.