PDA

View Full Version : Amquel and Cupramine

SaltWaterAdam
09/10/2013, 05:52 PM
I dosed my QT with Amquel a while back to start because I was getting a new fish and the ammonia was a little high in the QT. The QT wasn't cycled fully so I dosed with Amquel Plus and Bio-Spira to get some better bacteria working for me. Now my readings of ammonia are zero - so I'm good to go with that.

I know Amquel is highly toxic when dosed with Cupramine. The thing I am asking is how long does Amquel stick around in the water? I want to start cupramine, but not sure if a big water change is in order, or if Amquel dissipates after a while, or if I can dose Cupramine say after a week or so of dosing Amquel Plus. Thanks guys.

Mattiejay6
09/11/2013, 09:44 AM
Need this answer too!

Deinonych
09/11/2013, 09:46 AM
Not sure about Amquel, but I do know that Seachem Prime (a similar ammonia detoxifier/reducing agent) only stays active for about 24 hours.

Mrscribbled
09/11/2013, 10:20 AM
24 hours. Would just like to point one thing out for future, using ammonia binders during cycle will slow the process or even put to a hault, next time only add the bio spira.

MrTuskfish
09/11/2013, 10:45 AM
Call SeaChem tech support. 888-seachem, I think. These guys are great and I use them often. Here's everything you need to know about Cupramine; the Q&A are vital. http://youtu.be/VwIFCNRJ0jM

FWIW: I think company tech support is a very under-used resource for us. Some are great, others are not. If a company doesn't have good (and quick responding) tech support, I don't use their products. Yes, tech people are going to direct you to their products; but the good ones can answer many questions without bias. SeaChem is one of the latter.

Deinonych
09/11/2013, 10:48 AM
FWIW: I think company tech support is a very under-used resource for us. Some are great, others are not. If a company doesn't have good (and quick responding) tech support, I don't use their products. Yes, tech people are going to direct you to their products; but the good ones can answer many questions without bias. SeaChem is one of the latter.

+1

Seachem has always responded quickly to my inquiries.

SaltWaterAdam
09/11/2013, 02:08 PM
Call SeaChem tech support. 888-seachem, I think. These guys are great and I use them often. Here's everything you need to know about Cupramine; the Q&A are vital. http://youtu.be/VwIFCNRJ0jM

Ok.. Your link is to some weird musc video... Thanks for that.

I called SeaChem and they said just to play it safe and normally the wait time is 48hr before dosing cupramine after an ammonia binder. So there you have it... It never crossed my mind to call the company..lol. Thanks for the tip!