PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Algae in sump OK?

SteelerMike
09/12/2013, 12:45 PM
I set up a basement sump about 3 months ago with a few pieces of live rock and a ball of chaeto. Because I have the chaeto in there, I have been running a 6500k bulb when my DT lights are off to help with PH swings. However, I am noticing that bubble algae is begiinng to form on the walls of the sump. Should I remove this or should I just look at it as something that will eat up excess nutrients? Any chance of it spreading to my DT? TIA

MondoBongo
09/12/2013, 01:09 PM
from what i understand when the bubbles pop is spreads "spores" around to other places, so it could end up in your DT one would assume.

i've got this stuff in patches all over my display and it is a pain in the *** to get rid of.

i would say remove it now.

when i remove mine, to minimize the risk of it spreading, i usually use a small siphon hose to drain the water and suck up the algae as i am scraping it off the rock.

djp2313
09/12/2013, 01:19 PM
If you can remove it then get to it now. Always better to take care of a small problem now than worry about a big one later.

postshawn
09/12/2013, 05:31 PM
After you removed it if your sump is critter friendly you can put in an emerald crab as they as said to eat bubble algae. I wouldn't want it to pop all that mature bubble algae releasing the spores but when new ones pop up they should find them when pretty small and go to town on it. I haven't seen my crabs actually eating it but I have not seen bubble algae since. Either the crab did a good job or I did a good job removing the infestation when I had it.

SteelerMike
09/13/2013, 07:46 AM
Thanks guys, I'll remove it just to be safe and may put an emerald in there to help keep any future algae in check. I have always wondered how the emeralds don't spread it though as they seem to pop the bubble algae when they eat it....