PDA

View Full Version : Custom tank builder said durso would be easier

andrzadr000
09/12/2013, 07:54 PM
I was talking with my custom tank builder and I said I wanted a beananimal overflow he said its nice buts its very complicated. So he said herbie would be better. What do you guy think. I was all for the bean animal overflow

ca1ore
09/12/2013, 08:27 PM
If I were having a custom tank built, and paying custom prices, I would insist on designing in a BA overflow. Pay half that and go stock, you can absolutely live with the Herbie approach. I ran a tank with a siphon/overflow combo for 15 years without a hiccup, but BA gives you one more level of protection.

But what's so much more complicated for the builder - one more hole, a longer overflow. Frankly, if the place cannot handle that, look for a different builder.

leveldrummer
09/12/2013, 08:30 PM
the BA is rather complicated if you look at how it works, but setting it up and getting it to work right isnt hard at all. you only need 3 holes, go with it if you can, its quite and the safest design out there.

uncleof6
09/12/2013, 08:34 PM
I gotta laugh. The bean animal is not complicated at all. I would not bother asking again, but move on to the next builder.

EDIT: response to original post not leveldrummer...

andrzadr000
09/12/2013, 11:24 PM
He wasnt saying he cant do it but that its not worth doing it if that makes sense. He said he would recommend a herbie or durso but can do a BA. I was a little confused on why he didnt recommend the BA

uncleof6
09/13/2013, 01:11 AM
I would be confused also, because the BA is simply a better drain system than anything else that exists. Recommending a durso for any application is like being foolish and uninformed...

ca1ore
09/13/2013, 10:25 AM
I run a single durso pipe on my 90, and everytime I get home from a business trip I have this moment of surprise whe I don't see water on the floor. If you must run a single durso key, IMO, is to come nowhere close to its max capacity. In order of preference: HOB overflow (be afraid, very afraid), single durso, double durso, Herbie, double herbie, BA.

reefermad619
09/13/2013, 11:54 AM
You're the customer therefore YOU'RE right. There's a lot of people that are brand loyal. Like me: I'm a Chevy guy. Mainly impalas. Sounds like your guy is a durso guy. He probably wants you to get a drain that he's familiar with. Have him make it they way you want and if for some reason you can't get it to work, that's what we're here for. I will NEVER not use a bean again. If you've never heard a bean, be quiet for a mement, there... You just heard it.

fessoclown
09/13/2013, 12:00 PM
Sounds like the builder is being lazy to me. The whole point of starting with a custom tank is to do it the way you want from the start.

James77
09/13/2013, 04:07 PM
I feel so proud of myself that turning a gate valve is considered complicated :)

A Herbie design is just as "complicated" as a BA, the BA just has an additional drain for preventing overflow. The "hardest" part of either is adjusting the gate valve.....

NanoReefWanabe
09/13/2013, 04:34 PM
what does it matter to the "custom builder" (BTW i would be looking for a new one) how YOU plumb it...i would seriously question the integrity of a "custom builder" who says a BA overflow is not worth it and is overly complicated, and recommends a durso drain over it...if anything a durso is more complicated to get right then a BA, essentialy since there is no way to get a durso right, especially if right means never having water on the floor...as mentioned a herbie will work...however, the herbie system was designed as a way to implement a BA in reef (not so) ready tanks with tempered bottoms...it is essentially a bandaid way to plumb a siphon system in a tank with only two holes...itdoesnt offer the same amount of security as a BA, but it does work...if you are having a tank custom built, then it makes ZERO sense to drain it any way other then a bean animal system...a custom builder not recommending it be built with a BA drain should have his practice, and build techniques examined, along with basic tank construction...because it would seem to me his info and possibly techniques are very outdated/ limited.

sleepydoc
09/13/2013, 05:28 PM
He/She should be happy - he gets to charge for drilling an extra hole! (or maybe that was the complicated part!)

andrzadr000
09/13/2013, 10:49 PM
Thanks guys for all the help. The only part with moving on is I don't know another custom tank builder in Washington. Anyone know of one? Or maybe Oregon? His tanks did look pretty nice but what through me off was most his display tanks had aptasia. Kind made me second guys. But as I said the tanks were very nice and look like quality work. The I'm wanting built is a 60"x24x18 112 gallon tank

Saltwatercoral2
09/13/2013, 10:58 PM
Thanks guys for all the help. The only part with moving on is I don't know another custom tank builder in Washington. Anyone know of one? Or maybe Oregon? His tanks did look pretty nice but what through me off was most his display tanks had aptasia. Kind made me second guys. But as I said the tanks were very nice and look like quality work. The I'm wanting built is a 60"x24x18 112 gallon tank

There are a few different places you can try out for custom tanks

Reef Saavy
Miracles
PLanet Aquarium
Deep Sea Aquatics

Planet Aquarium will probably be the cheaper option of the 4, but there tanks are still great. Lots of people have them on here and are more than happy. You will have to find a LFS that can order them for you though.

mallard
09/14/2013, 12:22 PM
If he isn't comfortable with setting one up, you should be able to get the new ghost overflow from Reef Savvy which includes all the parts and plumbing. He'd only have to drill two holes... but you'd get a BA.

on the spot
09/14/2013, 12:47 PM
...I wanted a beananimal overflow he said its nice buts its very complicated. So he said herbie would be better. What do you guy think...

To pick that nit, that's a drain setup not an overflow. The overflow is the weir the water flows over to get to the drain.

If things are not yet settled I'd suggest a coast to coast, or at minimum 3/4 width weir, with an external BA drain.

If the builder objects, yell titmice three times and walk out.

sirreal63
09/14/2013, 02:38 PM
Remind him it would be easier for you to just buy a Marineland tank and skip him completely. :D

andrzadr000
09/14/2013, 05:18 PM
Remind him it would be easier for you to just buy a Marineland tank and skip him completely. :D

scottwhitson
09/15/2013, 09:53 AM
You live close to the best acrylic tank manufacturer in the US. Envision acrylics he is in Oregon. He does awesome work and will do whatever you ask.

andrzadr000
09/15/2013, 02:19 PM
You live close to the best acrylic tank manufacturer in the US. Envision acrylics he is in Oregon. He does awesome work and will do whatever you ask.

Is he on the higher end with cost? I'm trying not to spend more than 1000 on just the tank

biecacka
09/15/2013, 06:28 PM
What size tank?
Contact James and ask him

Corey

scottwhitson
09/15/2013, 10:57 PM
Well you get what you pay for. I didn't compare prices much I just know what great work he did when we bought our tank form him.

andrzadr000
09/16/2013, 09:35 AM
What size tank?
Contact James and ask him

Corey

60"x24"x18"h 112 gallons.

BeanAnimal
09/16/2013, 02:11 PM
If he isn't comfortable with setting one up, you should be able to get the new ghost overflow from Reef Savvy which includes all the parts and plumbing. He'd only have to drill two holes... but you'd get a BA.

While I think Felix is a standup guy and RS does top notch work, I am a bit taken back by the fact that they appear to be selling my overflow/standpipe system as "The Ghost" overflow.

BeanAnimal
09/16/2013, 02:33 PM
RE: the subject at hand.

The BeanAnimal standpipe/overflow system is not complicated to setup or operate. It takes the same basic parts and skills used to setup any other overflow. The magic is in the way that they standpipes interact with each other and the fail-safes that result from both the interaction and the addition of the airline.

Several months ago I set out to have a custom tank built to MY specifications. Each of the companies I contacted attempted to talk me into "their" design, be it s shorter overflow, tempered glass, etc. You have to respect a builder that will not do something that they are not comfortable with from a mechanical standpoint and/or refusing to do something that they feel will generate call-backs or problems that they will be on the hook to fix. On the other hand, a builder trying to talk you out of the standpipe setup you want is grounds for simply finding another builder. That is like the car salesman trying to talk you out of a specific color of paint or option package because he either does not have it on the lot or does not want to go through the trouble of getting it on the lot.