PDA

View Full Version : Would LaCl dosing hurt sponge?

ladyshark
09/12/2013, 10:21 PM
I am curious to know if anyone has used LaCl to lower phosphates on LR with sponge. I have a severe phosphate problem and am thinking about replacing my LR and sand, which I am sure is leaching phosphate.

Problem is I have a pretty large rock with some beautiful sponge and I hate to lose it. So I am thinking about using LaCl in a curing bin to get rid of the phosphate on those pieces of rock.

Does the precipitate or the treatment itself damage sponge? If so, any ways to protect the sponge area or at least minimize damage?

Would love to hear some thoughts on this.

Thanks

ladyshark
09/13/2013, 07:43 PM
Anybody?

CyclistMT
09/14/2013, 10:23 PM
Yes I think the precipitate could be a concern for sponges. You'll want to dose the LaCl in a reactor or into a suitably sized filter sock to catch the precipitate. IF you haven't already, please review this thread on LaCl dosing:

Lanthanum chloride (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1474839)

Also, there is a recent thread in the DIY forum on building a LaCl reactor. Good luck!

Volcano1
09/14/2013, 10:49 PM
I've used it in a display tank. I filtered it into a 5 micron sock first. No issues with any sponge in the sump or tank. I think in the LaCl thread, somebody did have an issue with one specific type of sponge, can't remember which one though.It does work well, but I wouldn't dose it without a sock or reactor filled with media.