PDA

View Full Version : Need help to figure out really low ph problem.

Mat1018
09/13/2013, 09:54 AM
So the tank has really low ph its sitting at 7.4 the salt level is at 1.026. The tank is cycled ph was steady 8.4 last week. I was thinking its a low o2 level causing it. It is a biocube with the pc light hood. So I told the person to open the hatches on the hood and let is sit and see if the ph goes up. Still nothing. Tank is no being dosed with anything no fish at the time just snails and hermit crabs.

disc1
09/13/2013, 10:15 AM
O2 has no effect on pH whatsoever. So I can promise that low O2 isn't the cause.

CO2 is the one that affects pH. So the problem is ore than likely a high CO2 concentration. More fresh air getting to the tank may help to blow off some of the CO2 and may help the pH. If the CO2 level is high in your house (lots of people and animals there?) then you may have to get air from outside the house.

Mat1018
09/13/2013, 10:21 AM
Yea that's what I ment the lack of gas exchange can't get the co2 out. How long before getting a better fresh air in to the tank before you can tell if co2 is the problem?

tmz
09/13/2013, 10:58 AM
Take sample of the tank water . Aerate it for a few minutes in the room where the tank is and measure the pH. Take the same sample outside and aerate it for a few minutes and test the pH. If it's higher outside ;room air is part of the problem.

Mat1018
09/13/2013, 11:12 AM
Ok so I found out that it might be due to fresh water that was added but he said he added it at 4 pm last night and only about half a gallon to maybe a gallon in a 29 gallon biocube. Could that really drop the ph that much?

disc1
09/13/2013, 11:59 AM
Ok so I found out that it might be due to fresh water that was added but he said he added it at 4 pm last night and only about half a gallon to maybe a gallon in a 29 gallon biocube. Could that really drop the ph that much?

Adding freshwater shouldn't change the pH at all. Not in a buffered system like seawater.

bertoni
09/13/2013, 09:04 PM
I'm skeptical about the accuracy of the kit, but you could check the water surface for any sign of a film. Films can build up and reduce aeration, although that's actually not very common.