PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know What This Is?

mluntz
09/13/2013, 02:26 PM

Sugar Magnolia
09/13/2013, 03:20 PM
Looks like a dying sun coral. Tubastrea sp.

mluntz
09/13/2013, 03:27 PM
Looks like a dying sun coral. Tubastrea sp.

So what do I do to keep it alive?

johnike
09/13/2013, 03:38 PM
Get it in some shade, first of all.

cloak
09/13/2013, 11:43 PM
If the shade helps, FEED it...

Are you seeing any "tentacles" reaching?

Reefer54
09/13/2013, 11:46 PM
If the shade helps, FEED it...
Are you seeing any "tentacles" reaching?
each polyp needs to be fed...meaty foods. if you can get the polyp to extend.

Good luck. beautiful coral....they shouldnt be sold to most people imo.

cloak
09/14/2013, 12:09 AM
Hidden cup coral?

mluntz
09/14/2013, 09:28 AM
Well I moved it into the shade, tried to touch the tentacles, and they are hard as a rock! I think it might just end up being a colorful ornament. There is a feather duster on it, which does open up, so not a total loss. I paid $6 for it.

Anemone
09/14/2013, 05:17 PM
I think it might just end up being a colorful ornament.

Not colorful. The orange portion is living flesh. When it dies, you will be left with a white skeleton.

Kevin

BrianB421
09/14/2013, 11:16 PM
Well I moved it into the shade, tried to touch the tentacles, and they are hard as a rock! I think it might just end up being a colorful ornament. There is a feather duster on it, which does open up, so not a total loss. I paid $6 for it.

Not trying to be a kill joy, but I hate to see people purchase coral/fish they know nothing about and then shrug it off when it dies. Maybe your optimism is just coming across an apathy in this written venue. I understand things can get lost in translation. But I hope you take this experience and learn from it. 5-10 minutes on google and you could have ID'd the coral, found out about placement, and learned about proper care and feeding. One of the driving forces behind this hobby for many people is a love of the ocean and a desire for it's preservation. Be aware that accepting loss so quickly can hit a nerve with many people in this hobby.

As for the coral, get it in the shade, dim your lights to 50% if possible (if not, I'd recommend running your lights for less time during the next few days), get a turkey baster and try to feed it coral food or the "dirty water" from mysis shrimp. I hope that works for you. These are great corals to have but they do require a bit more attention than others.

camblonie
09/15/2013, 10:01 AM
These are more likely to open at night for feeding right? You need to train it to eat during the day. LFS will sell anything no questions asked.