PDA

View Full Version : Kenya tree coral moved on it's own.

SCRID
09/15/2013, 10:37 AM
I had a Kenya tree coral with a one stem base.
Then the stem or "trunk" kept bumping into a higher piece of LR and it bonded to it. So then it had two bases.
Now it seems it is abandoning the lower original base and completely moving to the upper location.
Theres just a small 1/8" piece of it still on the lower LR with a thin string connecting them.
Is this normal?
I was unaware they could do that.
Was hoping the lower piece may spawn a new unit.

rapture
09/15/2013, 12:31 PM
anything is possible that stuff is like a weed. no matter how hard I try I cant get rid of the stuff. it originally came as a hitch hiker from another piece of rock I took from another tank. :deadhorse:

Josh40996
09/15/2013, 01:04 PM
I have heard of several cases of this in this particular coral as well as witnessed this with a toadstool. In the cases I have read, the coral eventually detaches itself from the original anchor point and the flesh left behind grows into a new coral. With my toadstool, it detached from the original anchor point and a new one sprouted in its place.

jerpa
09/15/2013, 02:28 PM
When I had a Kenya in my 29 it moved up the rockwork a few inches over the course of a year. In ny case it left no flesh behind. It simply moved.

SCRID
09/15/2013, 02:41 PM
cool!
thanks for the info everyone.
i don't have a whole lot for corals right now so another one growing would be welcomed.
they look pretty serene moving in the water currents.

SCRID
09/15/2013, 02:44 PM
on another note i dropped a tiger serpent star in today. i'd like to get a blue linkia star eventually but not sure if they would fight?

Bnaum85
09/16/2013, 09:13 AM
I have read that Kenya trees "self frag" and for that reason a lot of people don't stock them because they become invasive. It is interesting that instead of dropping a limb the whole thing moved.