PDA

View Full Version : ozone reactor

duy
09/15/2013, 01:31 PM
how long should i leave my ozone running on a 38 gallon?

billsreef
09/15/2013, 02:45 PM
How do you have it set up, and are you using a controller?

wolfblue
09/15/2013, 02:57 PM
Pick an Answer from below...

1) Leave it on till the fish hide in the corner.

2) Turn it off right now!

3) Doesn’t matter how big the aquarium is. What counts is liters per hour through the contact vessel, and milligrams per hour of ozone your using. Use 0.01-0.03 mg/l in a protein skimmer. Might use as much as ten times that in a contact tank(ORP controller is a MUST). And residual oxidants=don’t let the ORP get too high+use GAC--ALWAYS. Learn ozone BEFORE you use it. Or learn it while you use it if you have unlimited livestock budget and like dead things.

I say use #2 until you figure out #3. Just my opinion.

--John

duy
09/15/2013, 11:31 PM
oops its not an ozone reactor its a ozone generator..
or is that the same thing??

i have it hooked up through the skimmer...no controller

Greg 45
09/16/2013, 03:23 AM
Please read up on this if you are going to run one google it or look at post on this sight
you can nuke everything and it will happen fast !!!!!!

Jimmy54
09/16/2013, 04:28 AM
Using it the wrong way is not only hazardous to your tank, it also can cause serious health problems to everyone in the room.

billsreef
09/16/2013, 05:05 AM
oops its not an ozone reactor its a ozone generator..
or is that the same thing??

i have it hooked up through the skimmer...no controller

A reactor is a vessel that the ozone and water mix in. In essence your skimmer is the reactor in your set up. I'd advise picking up a controller to ensure you don't overdose. Without a controller, I wouldn't dose at more than 5mg per hour to avoid an overdose. If your generator isn't adjustable for rate, than I wouldn't use it all without a controller.

bertoni
09/16/2013, 09:25 PM
I agree with adding a controller, at least. I'd probably also add a GAC phase after the skimmer, just for safety. The GAC would deal with any leftover ozone.

Jamey1010
09/16/2013, 09:52 PM
Ozone is an oxidizer and a little goes a long way.

Look for an orp meter like a Milwaukee SMS510

Stay below 450mV

This is a good article to read http://www.reef-eden.net/ozone_in_the_reef_aquarium.htm with links to Randys articles at the bottom

duy
09/16/2013, 09:53 PM
ok thanks for the advice..
the guy at my lfs said to leave it on for an hr...3 days ago...

3 corals died today=/

shutting down the ozone for now until i get a controller

Polyp Envy
09/23/2013, 11:53 AM
would running the skimmer air intake outside work like adding ozone to a current system? im thinking it would but not as good? please share some thoughts?

disc1
09/23/2013, 12:23 PM
would running the skimmer air intake outside work like adding ozone to a current system? im thinking it would but not as good? please share some thoughts?

Maybe if you live in downtown LA. Otherwise there shouldn't be much ozone in the outside air.