PDA

View Full Version : Selecting compatible fish, and then the order of addition?

mpderksen
09/16/2013, 12:04 PM
75 gal currently cycling (as of yesterday). At first glance, it seems so simple to make a list of what I would like to stock, and then just get them one at a time. But then I have to factor in not only compatibility, but the order of adding them and it gets complex FAST. Not to mention that some can handle a 3-month old system, and others require longer stability.
I currently have a Maroon clown in my BC29, as well as 2 spotted Cardinalfish. The Maroon is certainly NOT going in first, because he is as aggressive. He even goes after my hand if I'm in there for any reason.
Are there some general tips that I can apply to my reasoning rather than asking before each, and every purchase? I don't want to end up painting myself in a corner, either by adding a territorial fish too early, or by getting one that locks me out of the ones I really hope to add due to incompatibility (but have to wait based on stability of the tank).

Some of the things I'd like to see in the final stock list include:

Watchman/Pistol duo
My Maroon Clown
One Spot Foxface
Yellow Tang

Additionally, there is a huge list of others that are potential, and I would simply select based on compatibility with the above to create a variety of color as well as habitat. The Watchman on the bottom, a Chromis up top, the Maroon around the rocks and the Foxface and Tang in the middle of the column.
My biggest concern is that I max out before I add what needs to be added last, and then I'm stuck.
General advice?

Michael

mpderksen
09/16/2013, 04:08 PM
A simpler version of the question: Is my maroon clown the only one I need to be concerned with adding last for territorial considerations?
I can't tear down the 29 until he has a new home, and I don't want to maintain 2 tanks longer than necessary.

Michael

FTDelta
09/16/2013, 08:49 PM
You can simply remove the Maroon temporarily and rearrange your rock work. This will cut the aggression down once he sees' the lay of the land has changed.

Unfortunately your 75 gallon tank is too small for a Yellow tang. However, a Kole or Bristletooth tang will be better suited in tank of your size.

mpderksen
09/16/2013, 10:31 PM
You can simply remove the Maroon temporarily and rearrange your rock work. This will cut the aggression down once he sees' the lay of the land has changed.

Unfortunately your 75 gallon tank is too small for a Yellow tang. However, a Kole or Bristletooth tang will be better suited in tank of your size.

Excellent advice! Thanks. And a Koke tang seems better indeed. I like the thought of having a solid herbivore since I've struggled with various macro algae (like fern culupera) in my BC29, and not had many options.

I also intend to get a Bubble Anemone for the clown, but I'll wait there, since it could end up as a territory marker.

Any other advice for figuring out the order to add my new friends? I have a few months to figure it out.

Michael

IowaReefer
09/16/2013, 10:35 PM
I would add the anemone BEFORE adding the clown. My adult maroon has killed a couple that I tried to give her. She just loves them too much and ends up stressing them out before they are settled.