PDA

View Full Version : Newb question about sump. Do you put LR/LS, chaeato etc in your sump.

Allentown
09/17/2013, 08:00 PM
Question in Title.

Im still running a HOB skimmer so i thought maybe i could utilize the sump for some additional nutrient export. However i have seen some posts that say leave it EMPTY so you can collect the detrius that lands in there and export that easier instead.

aandfsoccr04
09/17/2013, 08:09 PM
I have tons of liverock, sandbed, and chaeto in my sump.

rocsec1
09/18/2013, 07:15 AM
I have chaeto and live rock in my sump. Am in the process of upgrading and there will be even more in the new sump.

Allentown
09/18/2013, 02:27 PM
I have chaeto and live rock in my sump. Am in the process of upgrading and there will be even more in the new sump.

This.

I am not sure if i want to deal with Detrius catching sand, but live rock and a ball of chateo (just happened to have both) went in last night.

Sorry for the newb quesiton, i had been runing a fowl/low light corals and no sump until just this week.

ganjero
09/18/2013, 02:35 PM
I would only put live rock in the sump if I wanted to have a minimalist aquascape and felt the need to add extra live rock for additional filtration. Other than that I don't think live rock or even macro belongs in the sump. If you have enough nutrient to grow macro algae you would probably grow other stuff which will require more cleaning of the equipment in the sump.

I would have a dedicated refugium to add live rock and macros (even sand if needed).

fltekdiver
09/18/2013, 05:37 PM
I went with a remote fuge, to add the sand bed, and macros, and put the live rock in my return area

Here's the thread of my sump build on my 180 I just completed

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2329956

rogerwilco357
09/19/2013, 03:02 PM
man that would be nice to have both refugium and sump . I only have space for one and sump it is for skimmer…

fltekdiver
09/19/2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks ! It's getting the final plumbing done this weekend, tank just cycled !