PDA

View Full Version : Elos Alk test kit

Sethjamto
09/17/2013, 08:06 PM
I picked up an Elos Alk test kit today as I've never had an Alk kit. My LFS said that he has difficulty reading the Elos kits, but thought it might be just him. He had the Elos and API. I didn't want the API (LFS agreed) so I went with the Elos.

I tried running a test this evening and I never see the cyan color. It's supposed to go from cyan to yellow. All I see is clear, then a faint yellow.

Anyone else use this kit that can help me out? If not, then I'm headed back to the LFS to see what else they can get me that will work.

disc1
09/17/2013, 08:27 PM
I would say just add more of the indicator reagent but with elos the indicator is built in with the titrant I believe. So there's really no way to get a darker color. Maybe someone else who uses that kit can chime in with any tricks to seeing it. The only thing I can tell you is to put the vial against a white background and have plenty of light on you when you're working.

Sethjamto
09/17/2013, 08:41 PM
I do the white background part. What gets me is the directions say it changes from cyan to yellow. It never is cyan....just clear then light yellow.

Peter Eichler
09/17/2013, 08:57 PM
Funny thing is the Elos test kit reagent should be almost identical to the API and have a similar color change with a similar cutoff point. They also yielded the sames results when I compared them a couple years ago. The main difference between the two is the Elos costs 3 times as much for a fraction of the amount of reagent. The vial and syringe are nicer, but you can find those for less than a buck.

bertoni
09/17/2013, 10:47 PM
Hmm, I haven't used that kit, but I suspect the shift to faint yellow is all you're going to get. I have used the Salifert kit, and I could read the endpoint well enough. The IO kit was fine, too.

l8_apex_it
09/18/2013, 12:37 PM
Mine seems to work fine. It takes a few drops or so before the cyan is noticeable. The last few drops (~14-16) are subtle. With one drop it will become light yellow and the next drop kicks it over to the final darker color. I use this as my value. I will add one more drop to confirm that it does not get darker. All in all I like the simplicity.

If yours is never turning cyan then something seems to be amiss.

Sethjamto
09/18/2013, 02:33 PM
So yours goes from clear to cyan to yellow? Any chance to running a test for me and taking a picture of it at each stage?

Psyops
09/18/2013, 05:09 PM
Honestly, have not tried the Elos alk kit. Tried Elos Mag and CA. I prefer the Salifert Alk kit. It has a control you can test with in the kit, and the color change is more obvious. I have trouble with colors myself, and Salifert alk kit seems to work best for me. Hope this helps.

Sethjamto
09/18/2013, 07:36 PM
Okay....I got it figured out! LOL. I always thought cyan was a red color!! Now that I know it's a green-blue, I can faintly see it followed by the color change to yellow.

Stupid me! ;)

hedgedrew
09/18/2013, 08:20 PM
Seth. I use it. Nice kit. You have it now. One. More drobto make sure its yellow. If its orangy its one drop too much. Make sure you keep this stored in cool dark room. Reagents go bad fast and read too low compared to fresh one

l8_apex_it
09/18/2013, 09:29 PM
Glad you got it sorted. While I love the very sharp and clear color change of the Salifert kit, I love the speed and simplicity of the Elos kit. Day to day I think I will continue with the Elos and if I really need to dial things in I will go for the Salifert.