PDA

View Full Version : New Setup Tank

pace507
09/18/2013, 01:27 AM
Hello all, It has been a while since I had my old Salty tank.

I am thinking of starting a SMWLR Sea Monkey tank and are wondering a good size tank. I am thinking of using a 44Gallon Tall. Not sure what kind of lighting I will need, was researching LED, I used to use MH before. Do you think I might need a skimmer for this? What kind of Flow do you think I might need?

Any Tips are greatly appreciated.

fishgate
09/18/2013, 06:27 AM
Sea Horses or Sea Monkeys? Sea Monkeys = Brine Shrimp. Not sure why you would want the latter. You can grow them in a gold-fish bowl with no filtration. No special lighting is needed for fish only tanks.

wckbones
09/18/2013, 01:38 PM
I too was thinking of setting up a Sea Monkey tank. What kind of flow is best? Thanks.

Maze503
09/18/2013, 03:14 PM
do you already have a tank

pace507
09/19/2013, 01:00 AM
Yes I have a old 44 gallon tall corner tank (kind of like a diamond shape) I bought from Petsmart about 10 years ago, I used to house my arrowanna in it. I got out of the fish hobby too expensive and wanted to get back in. I was at Petco the other day and was checking out the nice saltwater fish they had, which got me thinking. They had some live rock they were selling also which was news to me.

I had sea monkeys as a kid and really wanted to go big to give them a great place to live and grow. I am not sure if I will house any other fish in there as I am afraid they might get eaten. I know the monkeys will probably fight as they can be territorial, so why not a big tank for them. I plan on going to Petco this weekend to check out some equipment to start to stock the tank. I need to read up on cycling a tank again. Not sure what type of filtration I will need, I am sure they will be messy, was thinking of a canister, saw some at petco as well, they looked pretty easy to use.

Thanks for any input you can provide, I hate to do things wrong. :fish2:

pace507
09/19/2013, 01:06 AM
Re Fish gate

Yes monkeys and yes I had them as a kid before, I just really wanted to make a bigger tank to house them in, lots of plants and corals to mimic a forest feel so they feel at home.

re wckbones

Really that is cool. I was thinking of putting 4 power heads inside the tank to get them to circulate good. My thought was to have a pump in each corner facing inward. What was your thinking on a tank?

fishgate
09/19/2013, 05:22 AM
hmmm.... 4 power heads? Territorial? I don't think you are remembering what they are correctly. But good luck all the same.

fishgate
09/19/2013, 11:37 AM
http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/gsl/artemia/

mpderksen
09/19/2013, 03:28 PM
I am thinking of starting a SMWLR Sea Monkey tank.

That is awesome!! I have a SMMR, Sea Monkey Mixed Reef. I add fresh monkeys each day and my clown plays hide and seek with them. Letting them hide in his mouth.
They are great pets!

Michael

pace507
09/19/2013, 05:36 PM
That sounds neat, sorta what I am trying to accomplish. Your clown seems to like it huh? What type of clown fish do you have, I saw some at Petco when I went there last, bunch of Nemo fish. I am not sure if I want to start out with fish right away, i was thinking of ghost shrimp, they are pretty neat looking.

What kind of filtration are you running and flow? Also lighting requirements, I was thinking actinic would be good they will glow a bit under blue, I know they have some LED fixtures that can alternate colors, that might be neat.

wckbones
09/20/2013, 12:45 AM
That is awesome!! I have a SMMR, Sea Monkey Mixed Reef. I add fresh monkeys each day and my clown plays hide and seek with them. Letting them hide in his mouth.
They are great pets!

Michael

I like the idea of a SMMR setup! Do sea monkeys produce much ammonia? Should I get a skimmer?

pace507
09/20/2013, 10:51 PM
re - wckbones,

I don't think you need a protein skimmer as I think sea monkeys wouldnt give off much protien. What I have been reading is that a lot of live rock will help clean the monkeys and the added canister filter will help polish off the tank. I am leaning toward a lot of flow therefore looking to add about 4 pumps, I drew up a design and will have to figure out how to post it here, any help would be great. I am pretty new to the whole internet thing.

I plan on taking a trip to petco this weekend and start to buy some extra pumps I might need. I have some supplies already from the old tank.

do you think sea monkeys can get ich? I suspect they probably could not be exposed to copper, so maybe I will look at a quarintine tank while at petco. I hope to get it all setup this weekend and cycled by sunday.

I will keep you all posted with my progress. :reading:

fishgate
09/22/2013, 06:09 AM
I think we are being played by this poster. Both pace507 and wckbones. The posts are moronic, no one is that dumb.

shifty51008
09/22/2013, 06:13 AM
I have a sea monkey tank, it consists of an ypside down 2 liter bottle with air comming from the bottom, every morning I feed them to my newly raised clownfish :D

pace507
09/23/2013, 12:03 AM
Hey all, been a while, went to Petco this weekend. It really got me back in the mood. So mainly looked around got some ideas and decided to make a rendering of what I wanted to do, before I commited.

I hope this picture shows up, but here is a good rendering of what I am after.

Any comments would be appreciated.

http://i.imgur.com/mMTz49W.jpg

duperdave
09/23/2013, 02:42 AM
I like your plans but I would get rid of the boat. And grass.maybe you could put some rocks there instead.

shifty51008
09/23/2013, 03:21 AM
seriously, 4 powerheads and an overflow for brine shrimp? I am getting the feeling your just trolling or haven't read up much on the shrimp.

duperdave
09/23/2013, 02:54 PM
shifty51008

if you're still looking at this post can you send a picture of your see monkey tank I'm curious do you
have it your sump?

FRANKENSTIEN
09/23/2013, 03:05 PM
They are great pets!

Michael

now thats funny

pace507
09/23/2013, 10:14 PM
Yes the boat and plants were just filler for decorations, as I suggested in the beginning I plan on doing live rock, but I figured if I drew in a mountain of rock you wouldn't be able to tell what it was clearly.

For the 4 pumps that was what I was thinking at first, I read you don't want to have cynobacteria so I know flow is the name of the game there. I wanted the pumps too kinda make them flow around in a ball like I see jellyfish do, I figured this way they can bounce around in a ball pattern.

The overflow don't we need to keep the tank clean? I was thinking more of a canister filter vs the a sump overflow. I don't want the tank to get real high nitrates. I might consider a clean up crew. Not sure what you all suggest for a canister filter, I really like the Fluval Fx6, looks like a strong filter with lots of media to clean the tank good.

I also would love to see a setup, I am starting to purchase some stuff now and picked up some instant cycle stuff at the LFS (Local Fish Store). It states you can cycle a tank in a matter days along with getting some LS (Live Sand).

More to come. :dance:

mpderksen
09/23/2013, 10:37 PM
I would humbly suggest you spend a LOT of time reading before you buy anything. Nothing I have read makes sense. It you truly want Sea Monkeys (which are food to about everything else in this hobby), you could set up a nano with a single, small powerhead. You won't have chemical issues because there is almost no waste product. Even changing the water will suck up your buddies.

shifty51008
09/24/2013, 02:10 AM
I can post pics of my setup but its nothing real exciting. Its just a brine shrimp hatchery that you can buy for around 7.00 from any local pet store. The brine shrimp i have i got from brineshrimpdirect.com

shifty51008
09/24/2013, 02:16 AM
There is nothing wrong with raising them to adulthood and watching them have babies. I used to do it when i was younger in a 5 gal tank, i would just add a little phyto and put the tank in the sunlight, the sunlight kept the phyto growig for the shrimp to eat. The biggest problem with keeping them is cleaning the tank fairly often as shrimp molt a lot of times and can foul the water.

shifty51008
09/24/2013, 06:53 AM
here is my easy shrimp setup
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/kau_cinta_ku/CIMG6172_zps47e176ca.jpg (http://s13.photobucket.com/user/kau_cinta_ku/media/CIMG6172_zps47e176ca.jpg.html)

and this is the only reason I hatch them, to feed these lil guys
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/kau_cinta_ku/DSCF0003_zpsc14a99c6.jpg (http://s13.photobucket.com/user/kau_cinta_ku/media/DSCF0003_zpsc14a99c6.jpg.html)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/kau_cinta_ku/DSCF0026_zpsfc3100b1.jpg (http://s13.photobucket.com/user/kau_cinta_ku/media/DSCF0026_zpsfc3100b1.jpg.html)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/kau_cinta_ku/DSCF0008_zps1628b13e.jpg (http://s13.photobucket.com/user/kau_cinta_ku/media/DSCF0008_zps1628b13e.jpg.html)

duperdave
09/24/2013, 12:05 PM
that looks like a pretty simple setup to build , hey anything to help you save money on food right. what do you feed the shrimp.I'm pretty new to all this.

shifty51008
09/24/2013, 04:15 PM
i don't feed the shrimp anything, they become fish food right after they hatch from their eggs so they still have their yolk sack to eat till then.

BrianB421
09/25/2013, 04:30 AM
I hope this is real... I want to see a tank build.

shifty51008
09/25/2013, 05:52 AM
I hope this is real... I want to see a tank build.

In reality it cant be real, brine shrimp dont swim well in water so if he plans on putting 4 powerheads and an overflow on the tank the shrimp wont stand a chance of surviving

pace507
10/21/2014, 11:50 PM
Hello All,

It was an interesting year, but things did not go very well, the water kept clouding up and I did not see anything. I think they kept getting chopped up by the pumps or whatever. I was really hoping this would work. My daughter was really interested in watching them grow and float around.

I got frustrated with it and abandoned the idea. A friend of mine was getting out of saltwater and he gave me a real nice fish, when I looked it up it was a Naso Tang? Really cool fish, he likes the flow alot. Right now I have the basic setup above, I used some rocks from petsmart and a few fake plants. Did find some cool decorations on clearence at petsmart also.No live rock yet. We saw a fish at local fish store, it was some chinese named and looking fish, they sold me on. Very pretty some kind of goby. I will have to take a picture of it for identification.

Well all I will try to figure out how to upload a picture from my cell phone (I still have a flip phone so hopefully I can figure out how to save it).

Thanks for all the info I took your advice but in the end it just didnt work out. We plan on adding some more fish to the tank, we really like the yellow tangs and maybe clown fish.

Talk to you later.