PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia reducing filter pad with Cupramine?

KindCorals
09/18/2013, 05:59 AM
Is this safe?

Mrscribbled
09/18/2013, 08:14 AM
What pad specifically? Any ammonia absorbing filter I'm aware of will also absorb copper.

KindCorals
09/18/2013, 03:05 PM
It looks like I can get the HBH ammonia absorbing pad here in Australia but I cant find any info on whether or not it absorbs copper also.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754124

Theres another one on ebay here, not sure the brand, I emailed the seller to see what it says on the packaging about copper.

Also found the Odyssea pad but again not much info

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pack-Filter-Pad-Cut-Fit-Aquarium-Media-Carbon-Nitrate-Ammonia-Phosphate-/300932075535?pt=Fish_Filters&var=&hash=item8bbad89868

SaltWaterAdam
09/18/2013, 03:05 PM
I'd stay away from it, and just do some water changes frequently, or if you can/want, Bio-Spira will help seed some nitrifying bacteria that will help the ammonia almost...almost...instantly. A day or so... but then you will have Nitrate problems... The end result of the Nitrogen cycle. Good luck.

Mrscribbled
09/18/2013, 09:30 PM
I'd stay away from it, and just do some water changes frequently, or if you can/want, Bio-Spira will help seed some nitrifying bacteria that will help the ammonia almost...almost...instantly. A day or so... but then you will have Nitrate problems... The end result of the Nitrogen cycle. Good luck.

Agree bio spira is great, fish can handle high nitrate, inverts can't.

KindCorals
09/18/2013, 10:40 PM
I'm not sure I can get that here, it looks like its freshwater bacteria tho?

I've just got fish in the hospital tank, no inverts because of the copper

cngreg
09/19/2013, 07:57 AM
Amquel and prime are deadly when used with cupramine. They turn copper 2+ into the more toxic copper 1+. I've blinded (temporarily) fish by accident doing this. I'm not sure if this interaction applies to copper sulfate/citrate as the ammonia in cupramine might be the reason the ammonia binders cause this toxicity. Also, not sure if the pad would capture and hold the copper or if it would scavenge the ammonia and release the CU1+ and create toxic copper in the water. Hope this helps.

SaltWaterAdam
09/19/2013, 08:51 AM
I'm not sure I can get that here, it looks like its freshwater bacteria tho?

I've just got fish in the hospital tank, no inverts because of the copper

I'm sure you could order some off amazon. If not i could send you some if you really want, let me know!