PDA

View Full Version : Which DC return pump?

brett7768
09/18/2013, 07:00 AM
What is the prefered DC return pump these days? Waveline, speed wave, octopus? Anyone running any of these? Need to decide what to go with for my 120 single cornerflo.

stk731
09/18/2013, 10:45 AM
jebao dc-6000

Haksar
09/18/2013, 12:26 PM
Is the Jebao really good.

brett7768
09/18/2013, 01:26 PM
I don't trust those Chinese knock-offs. Anyone have any opinion on these DC pumps?

gcarroll
09/18/2013, 02:14 PM
If you want to steer away from the Chinese pumps, you could consider the Tunze 1073.050. IMO, If you chose one of the others, be sure to choose one from a company you trust that stands behind the product.

brett7768
09/18/2013, 04:54 PM
The tunze was my first choice but I'm not sure if its powerful enough. After 5 ft of head loss it's prob putting out 500gph max

atreis
09/18/2013, 05:01 PM
500 gph is plenty. You only really need 3x (360 gph), and 500 gph gives you a bit more than 4x.

gcarroll
09/18/2013, 05:06 PM
500 gph is plenty. You only really need 3x (360 gph), and 500 gph gives you a bit more than 4x.+1
Why go DC at all?

ksed
09/18/2013, 05:26 PM
If you go with any Chinese branded DC pump you have a 50-50% of it being reliable. In case of return pump you want to have a reliable pump or you may want to buy 2 smaller Chinese pumps, just in case one fails the other keeps running.
If you are set on DC pumps the only one that I would recommend is either the Abyzz or R/E. With the Abyzz having the better controller and service. Abyzz comes with 10 year guarantee. But does come with a hefty price tag.
They are going to release a 100 w pump soon.
http://www.abyzz.de/en/

TeHGuy
09/18/2013, 05:47 PM
guess who makes the pumps for the big companies? The Chinese... Pumps like the Jebao are just the OEM selling it on their own to recoup tooling costs faster. Usually the exact same product.

D-Nak
09/20/2013, 10:33 AM
If you go with any Chinese branded DC pump you have a 50-50% of it being reliable. In case of return pump you want to have a reliable pump or you may want to buy 2 smaller Chinese pumps, just in case one fails the other keeps running.
If you are set on DC pumps the only one that I would recommend is either the Abyzz or R/E. With the Abyzz having the better controller and service. Abyzz comes with 10 year guarantee. But does come with a hefty price tag.
They are going to release a 100 w pump soon.
http://www.abyzz.de/en/

+1. I completely agree. Apparently the only readily available DC pump out there right now NOT made in China is the R/E Red Dragon, but be prepared to empty your wallet. I don't know much about the Abyzz, but it sounds like it's similar to the Red Dragon. R/E claims that their new DC pumps are made/manufactured completely in Germany, the only imported parts being the screws.

The problem is defining what "made in" and "manufacturing in" really mean. Many of the products we buy are built in other countries using parts made in China, but we're fooled into thinking we have a quality product based on where the parts are all put together.

Again, you really do need to ask yourself why you want a DC pump. I know that I was wrapped up in the hype and bought one, but I'm quickly learning that the lack of reliability is wearing away at me since a return pump needs to be rock solid. Plus the promise of a silent pump isn't reality, nor am I saving much in terms of power consumption. Finally, the thing looks like a cheap POS.

Ron99
09/20/2013, 11:27 AM
+1. I completely agree. Apparently the only readily available DC pump out there right now NOT made in China is the R/E Red Dragon, but be prepared to empty your wallet. I don't know much about the Abyzz, but it sounds like it's similar to the Red Dragon. R/E claims that their new DC pumps are made/manufactured completely in Germany, the only imported parts being the screws.

The problem is defining what "made in" and "manufacturing in" really mean. Many of the products we buy are built in other countries using parts made in China, but we're fooled into thinking we have a quality product based on where the parts are all put together.

Again, you really do need to ask yourself why you want a DC pump. I know that I was wrapped up in the hype and bought one, but I'm quickly learning that the lack of reliability is wearing away at me since a return pump needs to be rock solid. Plus the promise of a silent pump isn't reality, nor am I saving much in terms of power consumption. Finally, the thing looks like a cheap POS.

I have a Speedwave running on a 60 gallon cube and it is dead silent. I think there are advantages to the DC pumps for a number of reasons. Less heat. Lower electrical consumption. Only 24V going to the pump so if something does happen to it it isn't leaking a full 120V into the water. Maybe there is a problem with yours?

D-Nak
09/20/2013, 01:25 PM
I have a Speedwave running on a 60 gallon cube and it is dead silent. I think there are advantages to the DC pumps for a number of reasons. Less heat. Lower electrical consumption. Only 24V going to the pump so if something does happen to it it isn't leaking a full 120V into the water. Maybe there is a problem with yours?

You're right, does use less power, which is a good thing. The newer pumps I've used (Tunze Silence, Sicce) run cool to the touch, so that's no longer an issue.

I'm a just bit bitter because I'm so worried about the thing breaking since I've read/heard so many negative stories about these pumps. Fingers are crossed that nothing happens.

petergriffin
09/20/2013, 02:18 PM
Deltec eflow pumps are quiet and reliable

matty0206
09/20/2013, 02:44 PM
I am very happy with my Diablo 5500 and Coralvue has always been great to work with. Same pump as the knock off's or not, I like paying for customer service.

adam87
09/20/2013, 04:55 PM
I loved my speedwave 10000 until the power supply went bad last Sunday. I only own it for less then two months. A wire in the power supply turned black and solder melted out. Also the plastic started to melt to. I am just happy that it didn't cause a fire.

uwish
09/30/2013, 02:45 PM
I personally run a Tunze 1073.110, it's a powerhouse, I actually had to plumb in a dump line back into my sump because I suspected I would be getting to much flow...I was right.

The .110 is not variable speed like the .05 so just be warned, it produces exactly what the head height chart says it will.

I went with Tunze because I wanted something that I know is dead reliable especially in something as critical as a return pump. I also like the fact that the pump will not run dry, there is an auto shut off so as soon as it starts sucking air the pump winds down.

brett7768
09/30/2013, 06:31 PM
i wound up going with the tunze 1073.05. its just peace of mind. ive been running theyre stream pumps and have never been dissapointed