PDA

View Full Version : Best continuous dosing pumps?

OrionN
09/18/2013, 08:41 AM
I plan to dose Kalk and control the rate of my Ca reactor (I got a 18 inches T. gigas and he is a Ca sump) to keep up with my alkalinity and Ca. In order to do this, I will need two changes of continuous dosing pumps.
Anybody with experiences with dosing pumps care to give me recomendation?

schprock
09/18/2013, 11:38 AM
I use the BRS 1.1ml doser to dose alk and calcium. The pumps have been going for 2 years: on for 1min every 20 mins controlled with the Apex
No issues so far. I only took the cover off once to relube the tubing

The BRS 50 ml however are junk. I used them for water changes and both fail around a year right after the warranty expires.

The Chinese eBay dosing pump has the same design as the liter meter dosers. The tubing fails after a few months.

I am using the liter meter 250cc doser for water changes. Running for 3mos w no issues yet.

OrionN
09/18/2013, 11:50 AM
Thanks.

Psionicdragon
09/18/2013, 04:07 PM
Bubble Magus has been good.

stickleback
09/20/2013, 01:03 AM
For continuous dosing, an AC powered pump is what you need. These are what I use http://www.williamson-shop.co.uk/oem-peristaltic-pumps-213-c.asp. Either the 100 or 200 series depending on amount you want to dose. DC pumps are not designed for continuous use.

If you take a look at the deltec peri pumps you may find they look a little similar :thumbsup:

sirreal63
09/20/2013, 07:34 AM
For continuous duty and variable speed the best way is with the Cole-Parmer MasterFlex LS Digital Peristaltic pumps. Those little dosers cannot handle the continuous duty, they are timer operated which isn't ideal for a CaRx.

moondoggy4
09/20/2013, 08:28 AM
I had the continous Deltec 32ml/min pump I had to send it back it was defective and I never recieved any remedy. It would squell like crazy drove my wife nuts. BM doser and BRS peri pumms cannot be ran 24/7.

stickleback
09/20/2013, 09:40 AM
I had the continous Deltec 32ml/min pump I had to send it back it was defective and I never recieved any remedy. It would squell like crazy drove my wife nuts. BM doser and BRS peri pumms cannot be ran 24/7.

Had my 200 series 35ml/min Williamson running now continuously for almost 2.5 years with now problems. Also its very quite. Probably fail on me now I've mentioned this!

OrionN
09/20/2013, 10:30 AM
The thing is I need continous but varible rate. Ca reactor need to be adjust and also Kalk reactor need to adjust to evaboration rate also. For the kalk reactor, I can use timer to decrease the total daily dose. Fot Ca reactor, however, it need to be on continously.
I guess I am looking for a continous but varible speed (adjustable) doser. I think I am looking into medical grade pumps. Most of the time, the rate for medical grade doser is a littel low for either Kalk (need about 4 l per day) or Ca reactor which need even higher rate.

sirreal63
09/20/2013, 10:41 AM
The Cole-Parmer's can dose between 0.0007 mL/min to 45 LPM and ebay usually has an abundance of them used for decent prices.

OrionN
09/20/2013, 11:04 AM
The Cole-Parmer's can dose between 0.0007 mL/min to 45 LPM and ebay usually has an abundance of them used for decent prices.
I think this is a perfect pump for me but the price. Will look for a used pump. Hope for better price :(

sirreal63
09/20/2013, 11:14 AM
Search for Cole-Parmer MasterFlex LS, used ones are about $500, you may want the Easy Load Head. Americanlabindustrysurplus is one place that usually has a large variety for sale.

stickleback
09/20/2013, 11:30 AM
Why do you need to vary the Calc reactor flow. I have mine running constantly with the said pump. Just use a timer and solenoid to switch the co2 on and off.

sirreal63
09/20/2013, 11:54 AM
Easy answer, with really only two controls over ability to supply alk, pH and effluent rate, you can only drop the pH so far so when demand increases but you can also increase effluent rate. Having precise control over both is preferred to having precise control over only one. It works in the opposite direction as well, too low of an effluent rate will clog most valves but the peristaltic doesn't have this issue, you can slow it to just about any rate you need.

moondoggy4
09/20/2013, 12:32 PM
Had my 200 series 35ml/min Williamson running now continuously for almost 2.5 years with now problems. Also its very quite. Probably fail on me now I've mentioned this!

Nice:thumbsup: and I bet that it was a lot cheaper than the Deltec one that I bought.:headwallblue:

OrionN
09/20/2013, 03:21 PM
I have a 340 g tank with SPS and somve very large clams including a 18 inches T. gigas. I need to get the most out of my Ca reactor. Precise control of my CO2 and flow rate will give me this.
Also for Kalk addition, precise control of flow rate will give me the volum control needed to replace evaboration.

I end up getting two of these Cole Parmer Masterflex 7554-80 Peristaltic Pumps with 7013-20 heads. Thanks everybody. I think this will be rugged enought to last for years. I think I got it fairly cheap. Two pumps (one brand new) and 4 heads for 650 including shipping.

sirreal63
09/20/2013, 03:23 PM
That was a good deal.

rezaktp
09/20/2013, 03:27 PM
Look at a reef filler pump

http://www.championlighting.com/home.php?cat=1113

OrionN
09/20/2013, 06:10 PM
I have used there reef filler pumps before. I hope my choice this time is better.

moondoggy4
09/21/2013, 02:03 AM
OrionN do you know what the lowest rating is I have a Deltec Nitrate reactor and it is rated for .5 bar. I know that some of these peri pumps have high bar rating but not sure if they are turned way down if they lower the bar rating.

OrionN
09/21/2013, 04:01 AM
moondog,
I am not 100% sure what you are asking, I hope I answer your question correctly.
Bar is a unit of pressure. Basically a Nitrate reactor with certain Bar rating is the rating of how much pressure needed to push water through the reactor.
Many pumps we use have out put variable according to how much pressure they have to pump against. Peristaltic pumps does not. They have constant output regardless of pressure.

I choose these because of their durability and the ability for me to set a certain rate and forget about it. It will be the same 5 year from now if I leave it alone. If I need higher or lower the rate, I can do so in a few seconds. It does not matter if the media in my Ca reactor settle and the pressure need to push water through he reactor change. I can use pressure from a PH or gravity to push water through the reactor, which I do now. However, I have estimate and adjust my valve every day, essentially every time I look at the tank to adjust flow trough the reactor. This works OK, but for my dream tank, I want better control and not have to see that rate slow down to a trickle after a vacation and I have to mess with the reactor to get it to the correct rate.

Tron_954
09/21/2013, 07:05 AM
Bubble Magus Doser changed MY LIFE!!!!

No, really... it is great.

sirreal63
09/21/2013, 07:28 AM
Bubble Magus Doser changed MY LIFE!!!!
No, really... it is great.

They may be ok for a doser but they will not do continuous duty and they are not adjustable.

Tron_954
09/21/2013, 07:30 AM
Oh, like he needs it always pumping? Eh, that the brs dosers are perfect.

sirreal63
09/21/2013, 07:40 AM
Oh, like he needs it always pumping? Eh, that the brs dosers are perfect.

The BRS ones don't do it either, they cannot run 24/7/365 and are not flow adjustable, it takes a pump designed for continuous duty and the variable speed is an added bonus. You will note in post #16 that he already bought the correct product for the task. Google the pump he got and you will see the difference. The MasterFlex is a medical grade pump.

I end up getting two of these Cole Parmer Masterflex 7554-80 Peristaltic Pumps with 7013-20 heads.

moondoggy4
09/21/2013, 09:15 AM
thanks OrionN yes you did answer my question, I have another if you please, can you run say two different pieces of equipment say a nitrate reactor and a calcium reactor but at different feeds?

OrionN
09/21/2013, 10:26 AM
You can put multiple heads on these pumps. I assume rate is the same if tupe is the same

JAustin
09/21/2013, 11:48 AM
Continuous and variable. I use simon verastaltic. Look that up on eBay. I bought mine for $200. It ran my carx for a year and is now my ATO pump.

wolfblue
09/21/2013, 11:50 AM
I like Stenner, they run all day for years. The tube will wear out, takes five minutes to change it. The 45MHP2 (http://www.stennerpumps.ca/prod-45mhp2.htm) does 0.2-3 GPD, the 45MHP10 (http://www.stennerpumps.ca/prod-45mhp10.htm) does 0.5-10 GPD and the 85MHP5 (http://www.stennerpumps.ca/prod-85mhp5.htm) does 0.3-5 GPD. These are all $269 USD new with rate control from 5%-100% in 2.5% increments. I use some larger 85's at work. Plus they have lots of other metering pumps including double and multi heads.

--John

OrionN
09/21/2013, 12:53 PM
I think all of these labs pumps works well. We spend a lot of money for the pumps that sell for the hobby and they are terible. The BRS pumps with the plastic roler did not last 6 months for me. They are not much cheaper than Stenner, Simon Verastaltic or, Cole-Palmer.

AcroporAddict
09/21/2013, 07:53 PM
I use a variable speed Masterflex peristaltic pump to feed my calcium rector, one to feed my sulfur denitrator, and a dual headed one to do my automatic water changes. Can't beat them.

Pseudo69
10/19/2013, 03:33 AM
Of the 3 models (Stenner, Simon Verastaltic or, Cole-Palmer), which one is the quietest? I am looking at the Stenner and Simon because of the physical size and features.

OrionN
11/24/2013, 07:37 AM
The Cole-Palmer have a low hump to it. Very solidly built and can take up to 4 heads. Solid motor and steel roller that will not break forever. I have these pumps in my fish room so the low hump is of no bother to me. If you have it in your living room, maybe you want to consider something else if you are bother by the white noise.

lighthouze08
11/25/2013, 12:20 PM
get the PharMed tubing for your Cole-Palmer pump, it'll last you a year of continuous use.