PDA

View Full Version : NPO Biopellet (advice required)

DanKyle
09/18/2013, 12:17 PM
First off, hey!!

I have been browsing this forum ever since I decided to get into reef keeping, and today finally decided to register.

Recently, I have added NPO biopellets to my aquareef 300 system, as my Nitrates have been around the 50 mark for a while now. I expectedly got the bacteria bloom, two days after introduction. Which cleared within 3 days. My aquarium is now perfectly clear. I rinsed in RO water for 48 hours, as recommended, I added 100ml to kick start, and I know I need to add at least another 200ml of pellets. My question, is when? I know pellets do take a while to kick in, and going slow is an absolute must, but should I be adding more anytime soon? It's now been a week since I added my first amount, all seems to be going well. I also done a Nitrate test out of curiosity, but still reading 50, as I expected.

Opinions would be appreciated.
Dan

DanKyle
09/19/2013, 10:06 AM
Just need to know whether I can add an extra 50ml of pellets? As I've had them in soak for 48 hours today.

Dan

Electrobes
09/19/2013, 10:34 AM
I would wait at least a week before adding anymore, just for observation's sake. It's a pain to fix if you go overboard, but doesn't harm anything going to little.

klwheat
09/19/2013, 10:38 AM
On initial startup, unless you dosed something, it can take a month to get bacteria populations up. Be patient :)

DanKyle
09/19/2013, 10:45 AM
Thanks guys.

I wasn't sure, as it's already been a week. When I add more in a weeks time, shall I add 50ml or another 100ml? Last time I added 100ml at once, it created a bloom in my system. So was thinking to cut it down by half? Hence 50ml?

Dan

bravanc
09/19/2013, 02:42 PM
if all is running fine why add more? i started out with 1/3 the requirement and got the bloom and then it went away. my tank has been running great since. let it go, add pellets when they start getting used up.

DanKyle
09/19/2013, 04:33 PM
if all is running fine why add more? i started out with 1/3 the requirement and got the bloom and then it went away. my tank has been running great since. let it go, add pellets when they start getting used up.

100ml isn't going to be sufficient enough for a 300 litre tank. Also we can't say right now that all running fine. After all, there has been no NO2 or PO4 reduction. So too early to conclude.