PDA

View Full Version : Adding many fishes at one go in a new tank

Moffy
09/18/2013, 03:35 PM
Hello everyone! I'm not here to break rules, I wonder how the guys in Tanked & Fish tank kings do it so soon after the setup. I guess they may just be putting cultured live rocks in their filtration, and add large doses of biodigest, is there any other thing to take care of? I have a 180 gal and moving to a longer 200 gal. I just want to transfer the stuff, live rock, media and water and 1 day later fish. Will dose some biodigest - does this work?
But I m looking for that wicked technique of quick setups

GroktheCube
09/18/2013, 04:02 PM
The aquariums that Tanked sets up crash sometimes. I think you'd be fine with the move, you're transferring over the majority of the bacteria anyway.

You CAN go from new tank to fully stocked quickly if you cycle without fish and use a fairly large amount of ammonia to do it. I've done it with FW tanks a few times.

jda
09/20/2013, 08:44 AM
They use that water with "the bacteria already in it..." which is somewhat of a joke. You can also underfeed the fish for a while to keep bio load low.

You can almost bet that those tanks have experienced care set up as maintenance accounts the day after the film crew leaves - nobody that they build these tanks for would know how to care for them.

They also have the luxury of being mostly fish only tanks, so you can turn ammonia into ammonium safer and filter it out.

There is no such thing as quick in this hobby. My guess is that some of the fish die and the new owners pay a large price for maintenance.

ca1ore
09/20/2013, 12:38 PM
You can transfer the contents of one mature, established tank to a new one without incurring a new-tank cycle. I have done this a number of times. General recommendation is to not use the old sand, or wash it well, shake detritus out of the rocks in tank water in a bucket, and use the existing sump if possible. The loss of bacteria from the internal surfaces of the old tank is negligible IME.

NHATRANG
09/22/2013, 10:44 PM
I transferred everything from 55 to 75 without any problem. you should use as much of the water from the matured tank if you can.

rogersb
09/23/2013, 06:17 AM
You can transfer the contents of one mature, established tank to a new one without incurring a new-tank cycle. I have done this a number of times. General recommendation is to not use the old sand, or wash it well, shake detritus out of the rocks in tank water in a bucket, and use the existing sump if possible. The loss of bacteria from the internal surfaces of the old tank is negligible IME.

I've done this as well. Transferred a 20 to a 46, 46 to a 60, 60 to a 75, and a 75 to a 220 all without hiccups. Coral and fish will be a little off for a few days, but I have never had any losses.

Moffy
09/24/2013, 10:36 AM
Thanks guys for all the replies. As a professional company like Living color or ATM they cant be goofing up on all their tanks - But they certainly setup new tanks and yes they add lot of fishes on day 1 .. so I think somewhere theymust be hhaving lot of mature media ready and use nsw and off they go. Just wanted to know if I transfer fromone tank to aanother if there are wise ways of doing it. I wonder if prodibio start up will help as they advertise in 12 hours you can - I wont risk that stupidity but maybe science technology is progressing :)