PDA

View Full Version : What method of reducing nitrates

ksicard
09/19/2013, 10:00 AM
Basically my tank is stocked pretty heavily and my nitrates wont budge from 5-6ppm on my 75g tank. I already have a oversized skimmer and have cut back on feeding a large amount for the last 3 weeks or so. So I think it's time I implent some further filtration. It seems like some form of carbon dosing is the way to go since I already have about 110lbs of LR in my 75g so there's plenty of LR.

The methods I'm looking at is:
1.) vodka dosing (I'd rather stay away from this so I don't need to manually dose daily)

2.) Biopellets

3.) Matrix by seachem run in a bag in the sump

Those are the main 3 I'm looking at, primarily numbers 2 and 3 so I don't have to dose anything manually. I'm curious as to which carbon dosing method I should go with? I wanted to hear other's opinions on the products and which one is the better choice for a 75g heavily stocked tank, that's nitrates stay at the 5-6ppm range and doesn't really go any higher or lower despite my best efforts. My only concern is that I run my DKH at 9.5DKH-10DKH, would using the above methods require me to drop my alk to 8ish? My overall goal is to maintain 1-1.5ppm nitrates.

In terms of preperation I've already cut my GFO reactor off so that my PO4 builds up since you need both No3 and Po4 for carbon dosing to work. Now just waiting on advice as to which is the better method.

Thank you in advance.

Alex T.
09/19/2013, 08:03 PM
Unless you're seeing a problem I don't see anything wrong with SPS at 5 ppm nitrates. In fact, my best coloration is around 5 ppm NO3 FWIW. I don't shoot for 0 anymore, since my SPS seem to get pale when nitrates drop.

DerekFF
09/19/2013, 08:07 PM
I've also heard best color comes with 5ppm aproximate nitrates

ksicard
09/19/2013, 10:19 PM
Really? I learn something new everyday. I don't have bad color I just figured dropping down to 1-2ppm would end up giving me even better coloration. Everything I've ever read suggests lower po4 and no3 give best color and higher amounts best growth.

Alex T.
09/19/2013, 10:39 PM
FWIW, I think Mark's tank is one of the best around, and he has nitrate readings between 5-10...

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/58-tank-of-the-month

I've also found that it's easier to control phosphates when my nitrates are around 5. A tank close to my house hovers between 10 and 20 and has some of the best SPS colors I've ever seen.

mos90
09/20/2013, 05:47 AM
i guess it depends on your particular system. my sps look better with nitrate around 1 or under rather then 5 with phos around .03.

most types of carbon dosing do seem to prefer alk closer to natural seawater.

biopellets do work great for reducing nitrate , go very slowly. 1/4 dose. you can use zeobak for a bacteria source.

sirreal63
09/20/2013, 08:53 AM
unless you're seeing a problem i don't see anything wrong with sps at 5 ppm nitrates. In fact, my best coloration is around 5 ppm no3 fwiw. I don't shoot for 0 anymore, since my sps seem to get pale when nitrates drop.

+1

MHG
09/28/2013, 02:39 PM
Prodibio gets it to zero... But I would leave it where you have it if it looks good. Sps like a little nitrate....or at least in my tank...

mos90
09/29/2013, 10:38 AM
I agree. I noticed faded colors at 0 when I used prodibio. I had too feed corals 2 times a week.