PDA

View Full Version : How am I doing so far?

cnreef
09/19/2013, 07:41 PM
So I just started up a new 29g tank and was curious how I'm doing so far...

I started my tank at the beginning of the month using live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater. The cycle took around 1-2 weeks to complete. Once the ammonia had reached 0 and stayed 0 for about a week, I decided to add my CUC along with a few cheap soft corals (1 small zoa colony, 1 duncan, and an acan). I'm currently using an AC70 for filtration with the AC sponge, chemipure elite, and purigen. I added the chemipure and purigen after putting in the CUC and corals. I rinsed both in tap water and drained the excess water out of the two, then placed them in the ac70. I have been monitoring ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels almost every day. I also have 2 black and white ocellaris, as well as a yellow-tailed damsel in a 20g tank that will eventually go into the 29. I'm thinking about adding the damsel within the next few days (he's picked on by the clowns in their current tank, so that's why I'll add him before them). Once I've moved the fish into this new tank I don't really plan on adding anything new for a while.

Is there anything I can do to improve or anything you'd recommend me changing? Thanks for input :)

Ckyuv
09/19/2013, 07:54 PM
Sounds like you got it under control. I would assume rinsing your chemi pure under tap water would shorten the life of it because your washing in the things it removes but it may not be too much. I usually rinse with rodi to prevent shortening the life. Are your cuc and corals looking good?

cnreef
09/19/2013, 07:59 PM
My CUC looks good so far, I've added a little bit too much but will be giving the extra to a friend. For now I'm feeding them some mysis shrimp daily to keep them all fed. I made sure to dip/rinse the corals before putting them in. So far the duncan has opened up a little bit (certainly much more than when I got him, where he was entirely shriveled up inside). The zoa has about 3 or 4 polyps opening up slowly out of around 6 or 7 total on the frag. As for the acan, I'm not entirely sure how to judge if he is doing well but he seems alright to me so far.

cnreef
09/19/2013, 09:43 PM
Also have removed 2 annoying baby pistol shrimp hitchhikers so far, with at least 1 still in the tank. They are so hard to find/get out :twitch:

Hokies83
09/19/2013, 09:47 PM
ill take one lol

They Pair with Gobies.

robotman
09/20/2013, 09:03 PM
Also have removed 2 annoying baby pistol shrimp hitchhikers so far, with at least 1 still in the tank. They are so hard to find/get out :twitch:

Pistol, or mantis? pistols are so cool, i have 2 in my tank with a hi fin and a pink watchman goby, coolest little critters when they work on their homes ^_^

oscarinw
09/20/2013, 10:14 PM
If you can avoid it, don't put your damsel in your DT. Or make absolutely sure this is a purposeful move. Look at the sticky section of the 'New to the hobby' for more information on Damsels. In a teaspoon, they can become territorial, can overpower others at feeding and are really hard to catch once established. All I'm saying is know exactly what you are getting into.
Everything else sounds good to me.

Good luck with things