PDA

View Full Version : Seahorse proof vortech?

billygalaxy
09/19/2013, 11:43 PM
Does anybody have a good method to make an MP10 safe for little seahorse tails?

btreyes
09/20/2013, 12:21 PM
Vortech told me to use the protective foam pads. I came home one day from work and found one of my seahorses stuck in the middle of the pump and she died shortly after. :(

Allmost
09/20/2013, 12:23 PM
I wouldnt,

I have seen "pictures" of it here. and ppl "claiming" its ok, but I personally do not buy it.

with seahorses, I use power heads that the propeller is protected. like the old Maxijets. there is no way for a seahorse tail to get chopped with those.

66nag
09/20/2013, 07:23 PM
Hello!
I have had two foam covered MP10s in my seahorse tank for 3 years now.
Not had a single problem (hope I haven't just jinxed myself?)
Unless you turn them off when feeding, food gets stuck in the foam - but one of my seahorses actually allows themselves to get sucked onto the foam cover so that they can pick off the mysis caught in the foam. Then they swim off!
They even play in the current produced by it!
They seem to know not to hitch their tails in the front of the MP10-perhaps the flow is too fast for them to want to latch onto the front?
The MP10s give a nice alternating flow to the tank (350L).
Not sure if that helps?
(Will try and get a pic next time they do it)

nmr2930
10/05/2013, 06:00 PM
Egg Crate !!! That's what I use

Seahorse NJRC
10/07/2013, 06:46 PM
Pantyhose is what I use. It covers the whole mp10. I have also used the foam cover that comes with it and used fishing line to sew in a piece of filter sock to cover the front.

billygalaxy
10/07/2013, 08:32 PM
I have also used the foam cover that comes with it and used fishing line to sew in a piece of filter sock to cover the front.

That is very similar to what we wound up doing.

modder man
10/07/2013, 10:10 PM
Good idea! I would not have thought I adding to the factory foam cover. Like you guys I also worried about them getting into the front.