PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Blue Hippo Tang moving question

MrKris
09/21/2013, 04:46 PM
I have always just judged this on my best intuition or when I was forced to do so. I was just wondering if there is a time period or something :headwallblue: that indicates when a fish is ready to be transferred. The current problem (well not really a problem) is that I need to move 2 baby hippo tangs roughly smaller than 1 inch into my main display tank. Now I'm basing my current judgements on the fact that they are tangs and that I already have 3 tangs in my display tank. Not sure where to begin but I'll start with my experience.

Normally when I move fish from the display tank to the smaller tank it is because theyre skittish or being bullied. Leaving the bullied fish in the smaller tank for a few weeks to a month or two and then transferring it back into the display tank seems to help them readjust better and let them be less shy - I'm assuming this lets the fish adjust to the feeding schedule and let them know when feeding time is and etc etc etc.

From past experience with smaller fish (boxfish, yellow wrasse, and purple firefish) I put them into the main tank after a few weeks/months in the smaller tank to let them adjust. When I put them into the tank they are just barely over 1 inch and they are doing fine. Now I know that these species don't have any problems with other fish.

Now back to the main problem, blue hippo tangs are tangs. Tangs hate other tangs. I was just wondering does this apply to extremely miniature tangs... Currently, I will note only 2 tangs since they seem to be the most aggressive to other tangs: the purple and yellow tang. (My cole tang seems to only pick on grazers (he especially hates lawnmower blennies dunno why). Another concern of mine are the clownfish who get extremely territorial over anything that flies near their anemone - bites them, drags them, etc (TO SOME SPECIES).

I am scared that when I put in the hippo tangs theyre gonna become extremely skittish and hide most of the time and in the end leading to starvation then death. Currently I am trying to make them less skittish by monitoring their feedings and it has worked (when I first got them they used to hide whenever I got near the tank and now they stay around for a bit before running off) I have a red scooter blenny in the small tank, but I acclimated them together so they seem to be fine - they may just be afraid of large people shaped objects *shrugs*.

Main questions for people who didn't bother reading long paragraphs:
1) Are larger tangs aggressive to extremely miniature tangs?
2) Should I introduce them to the main tank after a certain size?

Thanks :D Hopefully this made some sense it feels to me I just crammed a lot of random info in before main point but w/e!!

Edit: I thought tank info would be shared on my side, but guess not. Display tank = 220g and Quarantine/hospital/inspection tank = 5g
*Gasp 2 hippo tangs in a 5g tank! :P*

SaltWaterAdam
09/21/2013, 04:51 PM
Main questions for people who didn't bother reading long paragraphs:
1) Are larger tangs aggressive to extremely miniature tangs?
2) Should I introduce them to the main tank after a certain size?

Have you ever used/considered an aclimation box. As you say the blues are tiny, they'd be alright for 2-3 days in one. Just my .02. :beer: gl

MrKris
09/21/2013, 05:14 PM
I've thought about an acclimation box but... that doesn't help them become less skittish though; without places to hide or go they'd be dashing around the acclimation box like crazy (assuming you mean the floating acclimation boxes). Also that helps with the settling problem, but not sure if it would address the bigger tang's potential bullying

Maybe a combination of both techniques? Tank + acclimation box? o.o

SaltWaterAdam
09/21/2013, 05:21 PM
I've thought about an acclimation box but... that doesn't help them become less skittish though; without places to hide or go they'd be dashing around the acclimation box like crazy (assuming you mean the floating acclimation boxes). Also that helps with the settling problem, but not sure if it would address the bigger tang's potential bullying

Maybe a combination of both techniques? Tank + acclimation box? o.o

the skittishness will go away with time, assuming they are ok to eat. I had a wrasse that wouldn't come out for weeks. I assumed he was eating pods and stuff I just let it be, now he's one of the coolest in the tank, practically investigating you as you walk by. Personally I would go with the box...at least it forces them to get more used to you, and it's a good option to stop the bullies right off the bat and let them current tankmates to get use to the little guys. It also gives them dibs on any food that you give them. Good luck! I'd love to see some pics of those little rascals!! :thumbsup:

MrKris
09/21/2013, 08:10 PM
http://i41.*******.com/11ruonm.jpg

http://i40.*******.com/2a6kxti.jpg

Tada :P They have outgrown their skittishness but im not sure when I should place em in. Excuse the tank I don't really maintain it. (i just have sensitive stuff in there so if anything is off they'll be the first to show :D)
The extra tank is also for quarantining purposes to avoid introducing more ich or the so called red velvet disease :P

Your acclimation box is just a dollar shop turtle box thing right?

Theyre soo tiny! Excuse the bad photos (iphone lol)

SaltWaterAdam
09/21/2013, 08:14 PM
I actually have a hang on the tank. But that would probably work just as well.

MrKris
09/21/2013, 08:36 PM
Oh i have something like that, but its not hang on =(. It sometimes sinks lol It floats but then falls after a while so sad