PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to start adding fish...

Lucky1s
09/22/2013, 10:13 PM
Tank has been going for eight months now and doing good.

Starting to think about fish.

Currently there are two damsels in there that I was given along with some coral and one hands down runs the tank. He actually attacks the magnet when cleaning the glass. Thinking they both need to go.

I want a pair of clowns and one maybe two tangs. I like some of the wrasse out there but am open to suggestions.

Main question I have is the order to enter the fish in.

Thanks,
Rob

Deinonych
09/23/2013, 10:47 AM
Post your proposed stock list in snorvich's sticky thread. He can help you determine whether you have compatible fish, as well as the order in which to add them.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2068112

Lucky1s
09/23/2013, 11:02 AM
Thanks Chris.

Not completely sure on what fish to get. This is my first saltwater go...

I have around 30/40 mushrooms (too many and some have a12" diameter when open!), one volleyball sized hammer, about 10/12 frogspawn heads, random zoas, acan, favia, a large LTA and some xenia.

The main focus is the corals in the tank and just want about 10 fish or so in there.

So I guess I'm just looking for suggestions on reef safe fish to start googleing and see what ones I like. From there I can put a list together and check on timing with entering each into the tank.

coralsnaked
09/23/2013, 12:08 PM
Yes you may have to loose the damsels to maintain a communiuty tank. If you are looking for ~10 smaller species reef safe fish and want a calm tank I would start with Gobies. Be careful about jumpers though unless you have a top on the tank. If so you can get 3 firefish first or whatever gobies yoyu would prefer. They will stay near the rocks. Then I would suggest a pair of clowns. The Skunk clowns are pretty and extremely docile as clown go. As far as Wrasses I would consider a trio of Flasher Wrasses one male and two female. And lastly for a blue color I would suggest three Blue Reef Chromis. They like to school and will stay at about mid level in the tank. They are the least aggressive of the Chromis but may still pick on one of themselves. But I would add these last as a measure of safety for the Gobies.

Lucky1s
09/23/2013, 12:23 PM
Can I still get a tang in the picture?

Calappidae
09/23/2013, 02:18 PM
How big is the tank? tangs on adverage need around a 6 foot tank. Smaller yellow tangs may fit in a 4 foot 75 gallon but thats pushing it.

Lucky1s
09/23/2013, 02:30 PM
Tank is 125g and is 6' long. You can kinda see in the attached picture that there is not too much rock in there so plenty of room for swiming.

Calappidae
09/23/2013, 02:35 PM
Tank is 125g and is 6' long. You can kinda see in the attached picture that there is not too much rock in there so plenty of room for swiming.

Should be good, you could fit a blue tang, and a yellow tang.. or any other tang for that matter.. Sometimes tangs don't let along with other fish with a similar shape, size, or color.. for example a sailfin tang and yellow tang might have some issues living together. Most of the time anyway.

Lucky1s
09/23/2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

Anyone else with thoughts on reef safe fish?

ViktorVaughn
09/23/2013, 10:14 PM
I would just go to live aquaria and check out the fish they have on there. Great place to get an idea of what you want and you can also custom tailor your searches for tank size, aggression level, max fish size, etc. Here is a good writeup on tangs that is a sticky at the top of this forum section. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946007

Lucky1s
09/24/2013, 02:41 AM
I would just go to live aquaria and check out the fish they have on there. Great place to get an idea of what you want and you can also custom tailor your searches for tank size, aggression level, max fish size, etc. Here is a good writeup on tangs that is a sticky at the top of this forum section. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946007

I will take a look.

Thanks,
Rob

Lynxone
09/24/2013, 08:55 AM
Nice looking tank. I love those in wall setups. Might wanna start early if you're going to get those damsels out. Fast little buggers are hard to catch if you've got coral and rockwork. Took me a couple days and lots of cursing.

Deinonych
09/24/2013, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

Anyone else with thoughts on reef safe fish?

My personal preferences: firefish, flasher/fairy wrasses, basslets, blennies, gobies, Ctenochaetus spp. tangs, foxface, clownfish

Calappidae
09/24/2013, 09:28 AM
Nice looking tank. I love those in wall setups. Might wanna start early if you're going to get those damsels out. Fast little buggers are hard to catch if you've got coral and rockwork. Took me a couple days and lots of cursing. Lets say when I finally caught my damsel I went nuts :deadhorse1:

Deinonych
09/24/2013, 11:17 AM
Also, this book by Scott W. Michael is a wonderful resource to have on hand: http://amzn.com/1890087386

faithenfire
09/24/2013, 12:08 PM
I have a trick
find out where they sleep and get them then. I caught my last damsel by hand.

or use a diy fish trap, however I've never had any luck with those

Lucky1s
09/24/2013, 04:42 PM
Both sleep deep in the rocks. Hoping I can do the food and jar trap!

BrianB421
09/25/2013, 04:27 AM
Your tank will fit the majority of tangs. I have a purple tang in a tank the same length as yours and he does great. I always thought a shoal of anthias look really good in reefs. They add a lot of movement and color to a tank. Some can be finicky to feed but usually they come around just fine.

Lucky1s
09/25/2013, 05:14 AM
Thanks Brian!

reeferstace
09/25/2013, 07:53 AM
Should be good, you could fit a blue tang, and a yellow tang.. or any other tang for that matter.. Sometimes tangs don't let along with other fish with a similar shape, size, or color.. for example a sailfin tang and yellow tang might have some issues living together. Most of the time anyway.

This is not true. Many tangs need tanks larger than the tank in question.

There are many useful "stickies" on the top of forums here on RC that discuss fish compatibility and hardiness. Also, check out the marine fish section on liveaquaria. They provide a decent synopsis of many different kinds of fish that are typically abvailable including temperment, hardiness, compatability, etc.

Also, as previously suggested, post your potential stock list in Snorvich's thread. He gives excellent feedback on potential stock lists. He will not, however, provide recommendations for specific fish so post there when you have made a preliminary list.

Good luck!

Calappidae
09/25/2013, 08:10 AM
This is not true. Many tangs need tanks larger than the tank in question.

There are many useful "stickies" on the top of forums here on RC that discuss fish compatibility and hardiness. Also, check out the marine fish section on liveaquaria. They provide a decent synopsis of many different kinds of fish that are typically abvailable including temperment, hardiness, compatability, etc.

Also, as previously suggested, post your potential stock list in Snorvich's thread. He gives excellent feedback on potential stock lists. He will not, however, provide recommendations for specific fish so post there when you have made a preliminary list.

Good luck! There are only a few more tangs that requir bigger than a 6 foot tank. There are even fewer that can go in a 4 foot tank.

Ok so.. I'm going to buy a 180 tall tank with only a foot in length space and put a blue tang in it because liveaquaria told me I can. You need lenght, and space to turn around gallons mean nothing. Blue tangs I've seen in almost every 6 foot 125 I know, despite what liveaquaria says. Of course for the smallest tangs I wouldn't go any smaller than a 4 foot 75 gallon but with sailfin and blue tangs they should be good in a 125.

If I recall correctly a 180 is the same length as a 125. I personally never seen one in person but I think they are.

Just saying, don't go by what one website tells you.. go by asking multiple people, and seeing what those people have to say and sum it all up... thats mainy what the forums are for in most cases.

gregandamanda
09/25/2013, 08:32 AM
Wow I wish I had your patience to wait 8 months to add fish it kills me to wait two months after the cycle

Calappidae
09/25/2013, 08:33 AM
Wow I wish I had your patience to wait 8 months to add fish it kills me to wait two months after the cycle I can't wait two days.. :headwallblue:

gregandamanda
09/25/2013, 08:34 AM
I can't wait two days.. :headwallblue:

Lol this is the hardest hobby in the world all you want to do is go go go but it has to be slow lol

Lucky1s
09/25/2013, 08:36 AM
This is good input and really helping with making decisions on puttng together a list!

Thanks again for the help and suggestions!

I welcome more to come!!

Calappidae
09/25/2013, 08:37 AM
Lol this is the hardest hobby in the world all you want to do is go go go but it has to be slow lol I know right... sometimes I just feel like dumping 75 gallons worth of bio-spira into a 1 gallon just put a sexy shrimp in there.. I can't stand that emptiness... :headwally:

but I have too... I MUST WAIT.. but its soo hard!!! :headwalls:

Lucky1s
This is good input and really helping with making decisions on puttng together a list!

Thanks again for the help and suggestions!

I welcome more to come!!

reeferstace
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946079

Lucky1s
09/25/2013, 08:43 AM
Not sure how the double reply happened?!?

As far as taking my time... I've let the tank run for almost eight months now without adding anything other than a couple zoas and a LTA. I just now getting to the of wanting to add fish and some more corals.

There are a few upgrades I want to complete first. I have an RKL that needs to be installed but need to get a few components for it. I'd like to get a doser and ato along with a new sump pump.

Calappidae
09/25/2013, 08:49 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946079
Sohal tang minimum tank size.
Liveaquaria: 240
Bluezoo: 150
That list: 350...
Both my lfs say (I asked a few weeks ago): between 125 and 250

See how it varies? This is one person on this list... one that really takes tangs seriously. You need to sum up what everybody says not just one person, although he/she is very informative in the list.

reeferstace
09/25/2013, 09:06 AM
This list was compiled by the most respected fish dudes here on Reef Central (and within the hobby). These folks have literally decades of fish-keeping experience. I trust them more than any retailer since they do not have an alternative agenda (sales).

Calappidae
09/25/2013, 09:23 AM
This list was compiled by the most respected fish dudes here on Reef Central (and within the hobby). These folks have literally decades of fish-keeping experience. I trust them more than any retailer since they do not have an alternative agenda (sales). Oh ok, I didn't catch that part. but still, stores deal with these animals everyday, and their opinions and answers count as well. We can all say here at reefcentral no tang should be kept in a tank smaller than a 1000 gallon, but its not nessecary, and with this old "tang police" meme (which mods themselves are now banning) people are going to go the highest they can in minimum tank size. Yes, I agree with the list, the bigger the better but it's up to the individgual hobbyist to decide what they want to do.. they have the option to go smaller if they want, but the recommended sizes in the list are indeed in full agreement the best to go by IMO. If someone want to, they could put certain tangs in smaller tanks, as alot of people and business go lower in tank size and have had success despite the General rule of thumb for tank sizing.

I'm just saying, as long as the person had success with the tang in a smaller tank than its fine to atempt, and LFS and online stores recommend smaller minimum sizes and had success with these animal, then it should be fine although larger would be better of course, and I'm in full agreement with the tank sizes in that thread's list provided.

Lucky1s
09/25/2013, 09:29 AM
I would like two tanks at one point. Have been leaning towards a blue and yellow which would work by looking at the list in the sticky.

Calappidae
09/25/2013, 09:36 AM
I would like two tanks at one point. Have been leaning towards a blue and yellow which would work by looking at the list in the sticky.

I have one large 125 I'm building and many other smaller tanks. The bigger the tank the easier. Also keep and eye out for humidity levels, I heard saltwater is better for humidity but then I heard its really bad... I don't know.

Lucky1s
09/25/2013, 10:06 AM
Humidity levels within my house?

Calappidae
09/25/2013, 10:23 AM
Humidity levels within my house? Humidity, moisture, etc. can result when having any body of water in the house. If humidity is too high mold could grow. Its different for everyone depending mainly on ventilation for the house. Dehumidifyers are used to get rid of it when it does get too high. For example: a 125 in a small house with furniture infront of all the vents could have a humidity problem.

Lucky1s
09/25/2013, 10:36 AM
Thanks. Don't think it should be an issue... Both rooms are open. Attached is a picture right after the tank was installed.

Terefel
09/25/2013, 11:13 AM
Love that setup! Very cool.

danimallaminad
09/25/2013, 11:33 AM
I have a 125 i just setup and I wish I put a shoal of smaller fish, maybe like chromis or cardinals. I think itd be cool to have a few big fish with some little shoals of fish.
Do you have a favorite fish that you really want?

Lucky1s
09/25/2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks Terefel. Just attached what the other side looks like from the office.

No favorite fish yet but I do like the idea of a small school!

danimallaminad
09/25/2013, 12:08 PM
Checking out liveaquaria would really help you see fish and their care requirements. I use that website all the time just to look up fish and I have't even bought anything from there yet haha