PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon tank mate suggestions

c_wags9
09/23/2013, 08:35 AM
I bought a 55 gallon that came with a maroon clown, two three striped damsel fish, and a blue tang. The blue tang was malnourished and died with the recycle after the move. I was looking into to getting some new fish. I like the maroon clown and want to get some sort of anemone. The damsel fish are obnoxious and always digging in the sand and picking on the clownfish so I was thinking about finding them a new home. I want to get some new fish but I'm not sure what yet. I was thinking a smaller tang or angel fish and a wrasse or goby? Any unique suggestions that would fit this size tank?

Calappidae
09/23/2013, 08:48 AM
I bought a 55 gallon that came with a maroon clown, two three striped damsel fish, and a blue tang. The blue tang was malnourished and died with the recycle after the move. I was looking into to getting some new fish. I like the maroon clown and want to get some sort of anemone. The damsel fish are obnoxious and always digging in the sand and picking on the clownfish so I was thinking about finding them a new home. I want to get some new fish but I'm not sure what yet. I was thinking a smaller tang or angel fish and a wrasse or goby? Any unique suggestions that would fit this size tank?

Tangs need a 6 foot tank such as a 125 gallon. A smaller bristletooth tang could fit in a 75 but it would really lack space let alone a 55. Damsels are flat out nasty little things... Picture them as the freshwater barbs of saltwater. I would get rid of them they do terrorize most fish and one attacked a few of my shrimp. Anemones requir a tank that has been stable for ATLEAST 6 months. It don't matter if the tank was already setup from someone else you still need to wait 6 month... if you go 6 months without any problems whatsoever then you can consiture an anemone. Maroon clownfish are also very aggressive and larger clownfish as well and were noted to actually bite the owner's arm when reaching in the tank. watchman Gobies, dwarf angels, Smaller wrasse like six-line, and maybe some anthias.. I don't know too much about anthias so don't take my full word on them.

thegrun
09/23/2013, 08:48 AM
I would not add any tangs to your tank, it is not large enough. Maroon clowns are the most aggressive of the clown fish, so anything you put in the tank is going to need to be aggressive to defend itself from the clown. A six line wrasse would probably hold its own.

c_wags9
09/23/2013, 08:59 AM
Okay thanks. I will definitely wait on the anemone. Yeah all three fish in the tank will bite me when I stick a hand in the tank. I don't know of my maroon is just not aggressive or the damsel fish just over power him but he gets picked on a bit by the damselfish and never holds his ground or acts aggressive back. I want to eventually trade him or find a new clownfish that was a bit more attractive.

Calappidae
09/23/2013, 09:04 AM
Okay thanks. I will definitely wait on the anemone. Yeah all three fish in the tank will bite me when I stick a hand in the tank. I don't know of my maroon is just not aggressive or the damsel fish just over power him but he gets picked on a bit by the damselfish and never holds his ground or acts aggressive back. I want to eventually trade him or find a new clownfish that was a bit more attractive. Maroons are aggressive when it comes to defending their anemone. Female clowns are flat out nasty things... but they are still harmless to a degree.

Percula or ocellarus (nemos) would be better buys for a more peaceful calming and relaxing clownfish.

c_wags9
09/23/2013, 10:57 AM
I really like the melanurus wrasses. And either a coral beauty or flame angel. And maybe a royal gamma. And then a different clownfish. If I got rid of the damsels would a selection of those four work together? And maybe a goby but five fish might be too much

Calappidae
09/23/2013, 12:45 PM
I really like the melanurus wrasses. And either a coral beauty or flame angel. And maybe a royal gamma. And then a different clownfish. If I got rid of the damsels would a selection of those four work together? And maybe a goby but five fish might be too much

If your using less aggressive clowns like ocellarius and percula then it should be ok IMO. I'd find a different much more peaceful wrasse like the six-line wrasse.