PDA

View Full Version : Live Sump Question

asmodyus
09/23/2013, 10:07 AM
So I have been wondering if I should put a love sump under my stand. I just bought a 20 gallon long at petco I have been studying some plans and came up with my own see if you guys think it will work.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o89/asmodyus/Drawing1-Model.jpg

*P.S. I also showed this in the DIY but got no response on it.

thegrun
09/23/2013, 10:20 AM
Lower the middle bubble trap divider between the input and the refugium so the top of the divider is at least 1" below the top of the tank. As you have it set up now, if there was a clog in the bubble trap the return water would overflow the tank and cause a flood. If you lower the middle divider the water would flow over the top of that divider rather than over the top of the tank. I prefer an under/over/under bubble trap leaving the skimmer section; I think that sequence does a better job of trapping bubbles. I am also concerned your return section is too small to handle the drain down water when the pump is off. Consider shrinking the input section and possibly the refugium section so the pump section is larger.

asmodyus
09/23/2013, 12:57 PM
Lower the middle bubble trap divider between the input and the refugium so the top of the divider is at least 1" below the top of the tank. As you have it set up now, if there was a clog in the bubble trap the return water would overflow the tank and cause a flood. If you lower the middle divider the water would flow over the top of that divider rather than over the top of the tank. I prefer an under/over/under bubble trap leaving the skimmer section; I think that sequence does a better job of trapping bubbles. I am also concerned your return section is too small to handle the drain down water when the pump is off. Consider shrinking the input section and possibly the refugium section so the pump section is larger.

Well if you notice I made the return section only 6" tall and the other 3 inches is egg crate to let flow go through when the pump gets turned of so that the return shares some of the Refugium should I still make it bigger?

asmodyus
09/23/2013, 02:28 PM
Okay so here are some more options on designhttp://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o89/asmodyus/skimmer-Mode2l.jpg

So which ever one you guys think is the best option. I am going to go get the glass cut today.

thegrun
09/23/2013, 02:34 PM
I like B.

asmodyus
09/23/2013, 05:08 PM
thanks any suggestion on thickness of glass or plexi?

asmodyus
09/24/2013, 09:21 AM
would 3/32 glass be to thin?

thegrun
09/24/2013, 09:36 AM
If the sump is glass you will get a much better bond using glass and a reef safe (very important!) silicone, if the sump is acrylic then use acrylic and Weld-On solvent. I would use 1/4" glass or acrylic for the baffles. Regular maintenance puts stress on the baffles and you certainly don't want one to break. If you use glass be sure to have the tops polished smooth or you are going to get cut frequently.

nazerine
09/24/2013, 10:37 AM
I would highly recommend having the refugium fed by the return pump, and overflowing into the return section

asmodyus
09/24/2013, 11:03 AM
a reef safe (very important!) silicone, if the sump is acrylic then use acrylic and Weld-On solvent. I would use 1/4" glass or acrylic for the baffles. Regular maintenance puts stress on the baffles and you certainly don't want one to break. If you use glass be sure to have the tops polished smooth or you are going to get cut frequently.

I just read like numerous post on silicone it seems that 100% silicone is reef safe as long as I cure it for the full duration and since the tank is already glass I going to use glass baffles (cheaper). I got a local glass shop to cut 1/4 glass baffles for me for very little.

I would highly recommend having the refugium fed by the return pump, and overflowing into the return section

Not sure what you mean on the return feeding the refugium?

Now I also read that I should have a direct line going from the input to the return and add close values so I can shut out the refugium from the display tank.

thegrun
09/24/2013, 11:11 AM
[QUOTE=asmodyus;21930615]I just read like numerous post on silicone it seems that 100% silicone is reef safe as long as I cure it for the full duration and since the tank is already glass I going to use glass baffles (cheaper). I got a local glass shop to cut 1/4 glass baffles for me for very little.

Many silicones list themselves as 100% silicone but still contain anti-bacterial agents. These silicones are reef safe: GE Silicone 1 window and door 100% silicone, Momentive RTV 103 or 108 or GE SCS1200, RTV 103 is black silicone and 108 is clear silicone. If the silicone doesn't say aquarium safe or isn't one of the listed silicones above do not use it!

asmodyus
09/28/2013, 03:29 PM
Will a 300 GPH Overflow Box be good for a 20 gallon Long refugium for a 65 gallon tank?
I read that you dont' want too much flow for a Refugium and the next size up seems to be a 800 GPH

alf1096
09/28/2013, 03:55 PM
I personally like a center return section, put the refugium on the end that way you can make the flow slower through this section.