PDA

View Full Version : Cocktail treatment for Ciprofloxacin resistance infection?

ouyadi
09/23/2013, 10:08 AM
Just curious,what if the infection of sick anemone is cause by bacterial strain that is already resistance to regular Ciprofloxacin treatment? Will try to switch to another broad spectrum antibiotic help? Or if cocktail treatment will works better in this case because I know in human case, there is protocol to combine two to three antibiotic into single course treatment for more tough bacteria. Will that also may help improve effective?

Shia
09/24/2013, 10:19 AM
I don't personally prescribe ciprofloxacin so not to aware of the rate of resistance. A lot of resistance is based on a mutation in the bacteria that prevents or inhibits that antibiotic mechanism of action from working or binding. So if there is resistance then you would want another broad spectrum that attacks same type/range of bacteria in a different way. Cipro does so by inhibiting DNA replication/transcription topoisomerase. I am not too aware of the specific bacteria targeted in reefing. Are you aware of the type? The more specific the antibiotic the less likely it is to cause undesired effects. You could always try another type of quinolones.

Reefvette
09/24/2013, 10:32 AM
you can also try doxycycline.

OrionN
09/24/2013, 01:47 PM
Once you find that it is not response to one antibiotic, it is too late anyway.
We have no data on which are the bacterial that likley cause these infection, so antibiotic choice is a crab shoot.
I choose Ciprofloxacin becasue it is widely available, cheap and reasonably broad in spectrum.
I am not saying that anemone infection cause by the same organism as human infection. However, for human salt water associated infection, I use combination of Cephalexin, Levaquin (or Cipro) plus Doxycycline.
It does not matter that we loves our anemone, but a human life or limp worth quite a bit more than any anemone. I just don't see us use combination antibiotics to treat our anemones.

ouyadi
09/24/2013, 03:25 PM
so can we switch these drugs in a 5-6 days basis? I mean if within 5 days, i dont see the anemone recover from deflation/inflation circle significantly. do you think it is a good idea, switch to try another one?

Once you find that it is not response to one antibiotic, it is too late anyway.
We have no data on which are the bacterial that likley cause these infection, so antibiotic choice is a crab shoot.
I choose Ciprofloxacin becasue it is widely available, cheap and reasonably broad in spectrum.
I am not saying that anemone infection cause by the same organism as human infection. However, for human salt water associated infection, I use combination of Cephalexin, Levaquin (or Cipro) plus Doxycycline.
It does not matter that we loves our anemone, but a human life or limp worth quite a bit more than any anemone. I just don't see us use combination antibiotics to treat our anemones.

OrionN
09/24/2013, 04:00 PM
I am not sure as to the dose of the other medication, how it is eliminate from our tank and ....
It really take a lot of thoughs and research to decide on dosage and how to use antibiotic in our aquarium.