PDA

View Full Version : SRO skimmer. which one is better?

nly04
09/23/2013, 05:06 PM
I have an 120 gallons tank reef mix. I currently use the bubble magus hero 180S but i have the over flow issue and looking for to replace it. I would like to get some opinions from people who used them before. which one should I get? THX

Super Reef Octopus XP3000 Space Saver Protein Skimmer SRO-XP3000SSS
Super Reef Octopus XP3000 Space Saver Protein Skimmer SRO-XP2000SSS

Super Reef Octopus® 10” In Sump Cone Skimmer SRO-XP3000I
Super Reef Octopus® 10” In Sump Cone Skimmer SRO-XP2000I

Drae
09/23/2013, 05:43 PM
Those are too big for a 120 gallon tank. Is there any reason you want a skimmer that could skim a tank twice as big as yours? Just noticed the bottom skimmer says 2000sss. The 2000 would be best.

adam87
09/23/2013, 06:17 PM
I would get the Aquamaxx ConeS and use FIRST500 to get 15% off.

azjohnny
09/24/2013, 02:37 AM
I would stay away from a SRO skimmer and I own one

nly04
09/24/2013, 10:53 AM
Those are too big for a 120 gallon tank. Is there any reason you want a skimmer that could skim a tank twice as big as yours? Just noticed the bottom skimmer says 2000sss. The 2000 would be best.

1st. I have a large area for skimmer in the sump/refugium that easily fit those size, also most of the people I talk to they said get the largest that can afford and fit in the sump area.
2nd. my bubble magus keep overflow on me.

I would get the Aquamaxx ConeS and use FIRST500 to get 15% off. thanks for your recommendation.

I would stay away from a SRO skimmer and I own one please let me know why.

Drae
09/24/2013, 12:29 PM
Getting the biggest skimmer you could fit on your system is an old saying that some people still go by unfortunately. Get a skimmer that is balanced to your tank size and bioload. A 6" aquamaxx em-200 would skim your tank very well. The cone2 or cone co-2 would be even better.

FlyPenFly
09/24/2013, 12:32 PM
Just because it's bigger doesn't necessarily means it skims better...

I wouldn't use the biggest screw driver I had to work on my reading glasses.

azjohnny
09/24/2013, 03:26 PM
There were 2 Things that bothered me about my SRO 5000INT

1. The return, It is too short, I made an extension from PVC which improved it but this is something I shouldn't have done if it was designed properly. This shorter design forces you to have to run it in more shallow water and can cause your skimmer to overflow

2. The pump- the bubble blaster pump pulls too much air and doesn't process enough water

I would suggest an Aquamaxx EM200 for your tank

Obstructions in the volute ( salt creep being the most popular) can cause your skimmer to over flow, I do 2 things to keep this from happening. Do both of these once a week

1. Pour 1 cup of HOT RO/DI water in the silencer, the pump will draw the water into the air line and dissolve any salt creep.

2. Remove the volute and inspect for any obstructions. Soak in pure vinegar and scrape with a very small screw driver to clean

nly04
09/24/2013, 05:21 PM
Getting the biggest skimmer you could fit on your system is an old saying that some people still go by unfortunately. Get a skimmer that is balanced to your tank size and bioload. A 6" aquamaxx em-200 would skim your tank very well. The cone2 or cone co-2 would be even better. Thanks, let me look into the Aquamaxx ConeS-CO3

Just because it's bigger doesn't necessarily means it skims better...

I wouldn't use the biggest screw driver I had to work on my reading glasses. You are funny. I said it FIT.

There were 2 Things that bothered me about my SRO 5000INT

1. The return, It is too short, I made an extension from PVC which improved it but this is something I shouldn't have done if it was designed properly. This shorter design forces you to have to run it in more shallow water and can cause your skimmer to overflow

2. The pump- the bubble blaster pump pulls too much air and doesn't process enough water

I would suggest an Aquamaxx EM200 for your tank

Obstructions in the volute ( salt creep being the most popular) can cause your skimmer to over flow, I do 2 things to keep this from happening. Do both of these once a week

1. Pour 1 cup of HOT RO/DI water in the silencer, the pump will draw the water into the air line and dissolve any salt creep.

2. Remove the volute and inspect for any obstructions. Soak in pure vinegar and scrape with a very small screw driver to clean thank for your feedback. Let me try your method to prevent the over flow.