PDA

View Full Version : Indo-Pacific live sand?

Raja Ampat
09/24/2013, 05:47 AM
Does anyone know where I can purchase live sand that has its origin in the Indo-Pacific? I'm setting up a tank that I want to keep only life from that region in. I know IPSF has some from Hawaii, but my live rock is from Indonesia, and I'd like to get sand from as close to that region as possible.

Raja Ampat
09/24/2013, 06:40 PM
Not a single reply?

Mr. Bill
09/24/2013, 06:49 PM
A quick google search revealed several places to buy Indo-Pacific Live Sand; However, they only carry black. If you want white sand, you could purchase dry sand, then add this product:

http://www.ipsf.com/livesand.html

Raja Ampat
09/24/2013, 10:13 PM
That is just the name of a product which I don't know to even be from there. I'm looking for actual live sand from the region. I googled
it myself, and found no results- that's why I posted here.

Raja Ampat
09/24/2013, 10:15 PM
As I said, I'm aware of the live sand that IPSF sells. I'm looking for something closer to Indonesia. Even Fiji or thereabouts would be great!

r-balljunkie
09/24/2013, 11:34 PM
All the sand I’ve seen in Indonesia was frankly, less than impressive. I’ve seen white soft sand in the Philippines, whites sands in Micronesia, but meh grainy brownish stuff in indo.....I don’t think your fish or corals will really care so buy what’s aesthetically pleasing to you.
Trying to do a biotpope specific tank is tough to do. anyone can put any label on livestock, advertise it as such. you cant ask a fish for ID

Sugar Magnolia
09/25/2013, 07:47 AM
That is just the name of a product which I don't know to even be from there.

It's from Hawaii. I've used it in my tanks and it comes with a bunch of critters. Pods, snails, worms, hermits.

Raja Ampat
09/25/2013, 10:23 PM
All the sand I’ve seen in Indonesia was frankly, less than impressive. I’ve seen white soft sand in the Philippines, whites sands in Micronesia, but meh grainy brownish stuff in indo.....I don’t think your fish or corals will really care so buy what’s aesthetically pleasing to you.
Trying to do a biotpope specific tank is tough to do. anyone can put any label on livestock, advertise it as such. you cant ask a fish for ID

My animals might not care, but I do. As I said, I want sand from the same region as my rock. Frankly, I don't care if it's the ugliest live sand in the world. If I wanted pretty, that's easily accomplished- I'd just drive down to my local Petco.

People don't seem to be understanding my post....

Does anyone else on here keep region-specific tanks?

Raja Ampat
09/25/2013, 10:28 PM
It's from Hawaii. I've used it in my tanks and it comes with a bunch of critters. Pods, snails, worms, hermits.

Do you know this for a fact? I went on their website, and it didn't say anything about its origin. For all I know, they're taking dry black sand & bringing it to life with Florida live sand- a likely scenario based on economics & the fact that most people wont care.

r-balljunkie
09/25/2013, 10:39 PM
Does anyone else on here keep region-specific tanks?

i do. 100 percent authenticated :)

good luck on finding 100% verified indo pacific anything.

unless you go get it personally, how are you going to know?

species are collected from everywhere, trans shipped, held at wholesalers, reshipped then off to the LFS. thats a lot of stops to make.

if thats what you believe your buying and you've convinced yourself of it....go for it.

like i said, anyone can label anything and you wont know the difference.

Raja Ampat
09/25/2013, 11:01 PM
^I see your point, Rballjunkie but one could at least try to obtain it from a reputable dealer and at least have a chance at getting what they were expecting. With live sand being relatively cheap and only needing a small amount to get it started, I'd be willing to gamble $50-$100 or so if someone could point me to a reputable dealer claiming to have it.

Worse case scenario, I'd still get some decent live sand and it'd be the same as if I didn't even try to get Indo Pacific sand. So I might as well try, right?

Just thought someone here might know a good, reputable source.

r-balljunkie
09/25/2013, 11:37 PM
you can try livestockusa. they "transship" corals direct all the time...im sure they can ship a box of sand for you, but keep in mind a box of sand is going to weigh a whole bunch. if you really really want it, im sure they can make it happen, just going to have to pull out your wallet.

good luck,

C

Raja Ampat
09/26/2013, 01:01 PM
^Thanks! I checked this place out- they don't seem to sell live sand, but they do have java live rock for a better deal than what I paid before, so I'm definitely glad to have found out about them.

I e-mailed them about getting live sand from that area.