PDA

View Full Version : Red cyano not actually cyano?

scubakid3
09/24/2013, 05:58 AM
I was told by my marine bio teacher that red cyanobacteria isn't actually cyanobacteria. Is this true? I have always been told that it is cyanobacteria.

terrypercula
09/24/2013, 06:14 AM
That's what I always thought. Did you Bio teacher say what it was?

downbeach
09/24/2013, 06:26 AM
Perhaps he's referring to the fact that "cyano" is Greek for blue, and was once more commonly referred to as BGA(glue green algea). Since it most often appears as a red slime in our tanks it has become known as red slime algea. It can be many colors, here is an article from the CDC.
"What a cyanobacterial bloom looks like
Some cyanobacterial blooms can look like foam, scum, or mats on the surface of fresh water lakes and ponds. The blooms can be blue, bright green, brown, or red and may look like paint floating on the water. Some blooms may not affect the appearance of the water. As algae in a
cyanobacterial bloom die, the water may smell bad."

Here is the article:
http://www.cdc.gov/hab/cyanobacteria/pdfs/facts.pdf

terrypercula
09/24/2013, 06:41 AM
Perhaps he's referring to the fact that "cyano" is Greek for blue, and was once more commonly referred to as BGA(glue green algea). Since it most often appears as a red slime in our tanks it has become known as red slime algea. It can be many colors, here is an article from the CDC.
"What a cyanobacterial bloom looks like
Some cyanobacterial blooms can look like foam, scum, or mats on the surface of fresh water lakes and ponds. The blooms can be blue, bright green, brown, or red and may look like paint floating on the water. Some blooms may not affect the appearance of the water. As algae in a
cyanobacterial bloom die, the water may smell bad."

Here is the article:
http://www.cdc.gov/hab/cyanobacteria/pdfs/facts.pdf

Neat!

spieszak
09/24/2013, 06:50 AM
perhaps your teacher meant it isn't algae as we all seem to refer to it as, its bacteria? Seems often we note cyano as red slime ALGAE...