PDA

View Full Version : Mixing biopellets?

theyangman
09/24/2013, 07:11 AM
Hi guys,

I am running a TLF 150 reactor with about 2 cups (500ml) of bio pellets, and I am looking to bump up the system to a TLF 550 with about 3-4 cups.

The current reactor has been online for about 2 months, and my question is, would it be ok to simply mix the two batches of pellets together? (New pellets and old pellets) of the SAME company. I run Vertex biopellets, and I would just get more of the same.

Or would it be advised to just buy a brand new batch of pellets and start over? Anyone got any experience on this?

PS: on a side note, how long do bio pellets last???

Pittsburgh
09/24/2013, 07:15 AM
As "old" biopellets dissolve, you add "new" ones. So yes, it is ok to add new pellets to old ones. They last up to 6 months in my system. I do replenish them every 3-4 months.

theyangman
09/24/2013, 07:25 AM
Sweet, so just prep them as per the instructions and toss em in together and I'm good too go eh?

Is there a thing as TOO much biopellets?

Pittsburgh
09/24/2013, 08:44 AM
That's correct. I usually soak them in some rodi overnight so that they don't float at the top of the reactor and then toss them into the reactor with what's left of old pellets.

In theory, I think too much biopellets is not good. Mostly because you end up dosing too much carbon, causing bacterial bloom in the tank. That bacterial bloom has all sorts of side effects, for both the fish and the corals.

MARINECRITTERS
09/24/2013, 08:46 AM
I would only add one "new" cup at a time, three to four new cups could crash your system.
I like to add a cup every two months until I have reached my desired amount.