PDA

View Full Version : Food for clownfish

Erik2514
09/24/2013, 08:35 AM
So I was feeding my clownfish hikari mysis shrimp but they suck it in spit it out and go after small pieces that's it... I feed about 1/4 of a frozen cube are the mysis too big for them to eat and is there a better food to feed them?

Spyderturbo007
09/24/2013, 09:39 AM
You can try chopping up the Mysis when it is frozen. That will give them smaller pieces to eat. I've found that Larry's Reef Frenzy seems to be a good mix of sizes for all my fish if you want to try something different.

Another option is Cyclop-Eeze which I find to be crack for clownfish. Although based on its tiny size, I'm not sure if they would be able to get enough to eat if you were to feed that exclusively.

peasofme
09/24/2013, 12:46 PM
mine ate ocean nutrition formula one small pellet. things have to be small enough for the fish to swallow whole. clowns will eat just about anything including flake.

historyjunkie
09/24/2013, 09:41 PM
So I was feeding my clownfish hikari mysis shrimp but they suck it in spit it out and go after small pieces that's it... I feed about 1/4 of a frozen cube are the mysis too big for them to eat and is there a better food to feed them?

My clowns hardly touch the frozen pe mysis also, they spit it out they are very select about the pieces they eat it can't be too big or small my other fish love it though so if they happen to eat some of it it's of benefit for them also. Frankly I don't count on this to feed them, they do however eat up this pellet food I have from SA aquatics. It's called hatchery diet. Hope that helps. My ocellaris grew about an inch in a year and got big and fat and that's because I feed him this twice a day.
http://www.sustainableaquatics.com/products/hatchery-feeds/