PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI unit

mpderksen
09/24/2013, 09:19 AM
In the near future I need to get an RO/DI system. But I don't need a huge amount. I'm cool with 20gal/week, not 90 gal/day. Clearly the quality of the water matters, but are there small units that I can hook to a sink to top off a carboy instead of an intense system that I have to plumb into the house?

PinkPunisher
09/24/2013, 10:06 AM
All RO/DI can be stored in a closet or somewhere and don't have to be plumbed into your house. BRS offers a faucet adapter for like $6.99 and that is compatible with all RO/DI to my knowledge. People normally plumb it because its one less hassle that you have to do before preforming a water change.

Personally I would look to Spectrapure as they really are the top of the line RO/DI manufacturers out there. They just recently released a new membrane with a guaranteed 99% rejection rate, most others are 98%. Now I know that doesn't sound like much but it will make your DI last longer thus being more cost efficient. You can grab a refurbished 90GPD RO/DI from Spectrapure for $129.99 plus taxes and shipping, I don't think your really gonna be able to find a better deal short of finding one of Kijiji or Craigslist.

People usually go with a 90GPD instead of say a 40GPD because the 90's offer a higher rejection rate (98%-99%). It won't hurt the RO/DI to only make 20 gallons of water instead of 90, just so long as your not making small amounts like a gallon or two here and there.

mpderksen
09/25/2013, 08:32 AM
4-stage or 5?

PinkPunisher
09/25/2013, 09:18 AM
The one I mentioned is a 4 stage. Here is the link, hope mods don't mind.

http://spectrapure.com/FACTORY-REFURBISHED/Refurbished-90-GPD-RODI-System