PDA

View Full Version : drill or no drill

aceface562
09/24/2013, 01:43 PM
i'm in a bit of a dilemma contemplating whether or not i should drill my 150 wide tank. it's 1/2" thick with painted black back so i can't test if it's tempered or not.

i was considering the CPR CS150 external overflow box rated 1600 gph but i think it would look a bit tacky so looked into the glass holes overflow box kits which requires me to drill. it's a tough decision cuz i'm afraid it might crack.

have anyone drilled a glass tank 1/2" thick? how difficult was it?

ca1ore
09/24/2013, 01:52 PM
Drilling 1/2 inch glass is pretty easy as long as you have the right drill bit, use water to cool things, and go slowly. The hitch, as you say, is if the glass is tempered or not. Generally sides are not tempered, but you never can know for sure until either you try or ask the manufacturer. The bottom is more likely to be tempered, though some tnaks are not.

billdogg
09/24/2013, 01:52 PM
I would drill it. Being 1/2" it is probably not tempered. If you are concerned that it might be, it really is no big deal to scrape of the paint to test it.

BrianB421
09/27/2013, 06:45 AM
I drilled my tank (1/2 in glass) with the glass holes kit. Can't say enough great things about Glass Holes. I was stressed out before I started drilling! My tank was already established so I had to drain it half way and drill with livestock in the tank! But drilling was simple. The thicker the glass, the less likely it will break. Make sure it's not tempered though! There are tricks for seeing if your tank is tempered on youtube. Overall, I'm glad I drilled my tank!

rags111875
09/27/2013, 09:16 PM
in an earlier post in this forum, i decided to drill my new 220 tonight.
i practiced 4 holes in my smaller tanks (40gal and 50 gal). no issues. perfect holes each time.
my first hole attempt on the thicker glass 220 was almost complete when i wiggled the drill slightly and it caused a chip on the inside.
i then drilled 2x 2 3/8" perfect holes for 1.5" bulkheads.
Not sure what i am going to do about the chip.
I'll either find some glass filler or other repair method OR make the hole ~3", to fit a 2" bulkhead. For each hole, i used a new bit.

ca1ore
09/27/2013, 10:07 PM
Cracks are the really problematic things. Depending upon how big the chip is (is it contained under the bulkhead gasket, for example) it may not be a problem.

bcwalz
10/03/2013, 02:14 PM
I am thinking of drilling my 150 gallon tank as well (72x27x18) the plan it to build it into a wall where the tank is visible on the long side from both sides of the wall. The drilling would be on one of the short end to set up a bean animal over flow. Normally I see people setting the tank on it's side so they can keep water in where they are drilling. Due to the length of the tank (and the 550 lb weight when try and empty) is it feasible to drill it as it sits without tipping it on end? Not sure how you would pool water around the cutting area, just run water over it continuously?

rags111875
10/03/2013, 06:14 PM
Yes, i just completed my 3rd hole in my 220gal.
I chipped the first hole b/c i went in at an angle at the very end. The next 2 holes went perfect (straight on).
I fixed the first hole (chip) by drilling a bigger hole around the chip (to fit a 2" bulkhead).
I used a normal 18v Dewalt drill with the diamond hole saw bit.
As i was drilling, my wife was constantly squirting water on the hole and bit.
I took breaks every minute or so and kept the bit cooler by dipping it in ice water (probably overkill).
Each hole took ~ 15 minutes through that thick glass.

Good luck!

wilsonline
10/04/2013, 12:31 AM
tough decision. I would drill it if nothing in, but would use an overflow box if have a lot of live stock.

Lovetang
10/07/2013, 03:41 PM
Drill it. Not too hard really. Usually sides are okay, but you need to find out. Diamond hole saw, jig to hold your drill, steady pressure and keep it wet. Guessing the tank is new, meaning nothing but an empty glass box.