PDA

View Full Version : Precision Marine Bullet 1 with no pump?

Red_Ant
09/24/2013, 09:38 PM
So I just bought the Bullet 1 to go external. I have a mag drive 12 and 18 that I could use to feed the skimmer. But, I was wondering is it possible to just use the return water straight from my overflow and not use another pump? I have a basement sump and use a sicce 12 to feed the display upstairs. There is about 15ft of head so the return pump ends up around 1300gph.

So will I be able to just use the return straight into the skimmer or should I have the return come into the sump and then use the mag 12 or 18 to feed the skimmer. If the extra pump is better should I use the 12 or 18? Also I will have the biopellet reactor return going straight into the skimmer. Thanks for your help.

Red_Ant
09/25/2013, 10:08 PM
Bump

Timber77
10/13/2013, 08:53 PM
best way is to try it out, you might get enough from your return to run it technically but my guess is you will have to constantly adjust it.
probably the mag 18 would be best but there again since you have both experiment with it.

tkeracer619
10/13/2013, 11:22 PM
Drain plumbing rule #1...

The smallest point in the drain should be the entry. If it can get into the drain it should be able to go all the way through.

Since the PM uses a beckett injector this would break rule #1.

Many people gravity feed their skimmers but they are almost always recirculating designs and there is no restriction of the water going into the skimmer.

BTW neither pump is a good choice but the mag 18 will work better. A pressure rated Iwaki would be much better.

Red_Ant
10/14/2013, 08:24 PM
Thanks all. I ended up using the mag18 for the skimmer and plumbed part of the return to my Gfo and carbon reactors. So far so good.