PDA

View Full Version : Water Test Kits

Creative1
09/25/2013, 02:01 PM
So, I got the API.. I am having difficulty matching up the colors to the chart.

I am looking for something more accurate, and not too expensive.
In addition, what do I need to test for exactly for a nano reef?

Suggestions please!

Twistofer
09/25/2013, 02:19 PM
I like the Red Sea Algae Control Kit (Nitrate/Phosphate) and the Red Sea Foundation Pro (Ca, Mg and Alk) kits. If you're cycled then the Ammonia and Nitrite is nice, but moot.

thegrun
09/25/2013, 02:23 PM
Red Sea Pro kits are the least expensive quality test kits. Are you keeping corals or just fish? For ammonia and nitrates I would continue to use your API tests, I rarely test for them unless I suspect a problem. For a fish only system add alkalinity. For corals in addition you want calcium and magnesium. Sooner or later you are going to need to test for phosphates. A Hanna Checker is the instrument of choice for testing phosphates.

Creative1
09/25/2013, 02:24 PM
thanks. I don't know if I am going to have a fish in the tank yet.. mostly inverts and soft corals. I will look into the Red Sea :)

erock68
09/25/2013, 02:48 PM
Salifert for me.

I was getting readings all over the place, when I first started and was using API.

thegrun
09/25/2013, 02:54 PM
Salifert for me.

I was getting readings all over the place, when I first started and was using API.

I use Salifert myself, but they are more expensive than Red Sea and the results are very close to each other. I've been using Salifert for so long I have the results memorized. I'm willing to spend a little more for Salifert simply because of the comfort level I've gained from all the testing I have done, but since cost was one of his concerns (and if he is just starting there will not be an ease of use bias) I recommended Red Sea.

Creative1
09/25/2013, 03:27 PM
I use Salifert myself, but they are more expensive than Red Sea and the results are very close to each other. I've been using Salifert for so long I have the results memorized. I'm willing to spend a little more for Salifert simply because of the comfort level I've gained from all the testing I have done, but since cost was one of his concerns (and if he is just starting there will not be an ease of use bias) I recommended Red Sea.

She.:wavehand: I guess that means most members here are males? LOL.

I want to stop at my LFS after work to see if they have anything other than API before I look online

thegrun
09/25/2013, 03:29 PM
Sorry!!! (it is a male dominated hobby, but many of the very best are women)

Creative1
09/25/2013, 05:53 PM
You are forgiven! It's ok :)

What's a good refractiometer at a decent price? There's so many I can't pick one

oscarinw
09/25/2013, 09:10 PM
I'm not sure about brands as I only have one and it works. However, I would definitely recommend getting one that has Automatic Temperature Correction or "ATC".
Good luck with things!

thegrun
09/26/2013, 07:04 AM
You are forgiven! It's ok :)

What's a good refractiometer at a decent price? There's so many I can't pick one

I like the Bulk Reef Supply refractometer, it is solidly built and doesn't seem to drift off calibration much. Be sure to also purchase a bottle of calibration fluid with your refractometer, they need periodic adjustment. I'm starting to sound like a BRS salesman, but their calibration fluid has a nice dropper built into the end which makes it very easy to use and also prevents evaporation and spills, not that you would ever spill but I’ve been known to!

TheLastPolarBea
09/26/2013, 12:10 PM
I like the Bulk Reef Supply refractometer, it is solidly built and doesn't seem to drift off calibration much. Be sure to also purchase a bottle of calibration fluid with your refractometer, they need periodic adjustment. I'm starting to sound like a BRS salesman, but their calibration fluid has a nice dropper built into the end which makes it very easy to use and also prevents evaporation and spills, not that you would ever spill but I’ve been known to!

Calabration fluid? Im a noob, so please excuse my ignorance. I have a refractomitor that is calibrated with fresh water. Put fresh water on the lens, then zero it. Am I missing out on something? Are the ones that need special fluid more accurate?

thegrun
09/26/2013, 01:47 PM
Ideally you want to calibrate any equipment with a product that is close to the level you are testing at. For our use a 35ppm (1.026 SG) calibration fluid will reduce the margin of error since that is the specific gravity of ocean saltwater.