PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead causing algae in mixing bucket?

reefkeep3r
09/26/2013, 08:40 AM
Ever since I started mixing SW about 6 months ago, I have had a problem with algae starting to grow in the mixing bucket and water takes on a green color. Here is my set up.

RODI system outputs 0 TDS into a 32g NFS grade garbage can. Water reads 0 TDS in the can. The can has a PVC spigot I added. When I need to make SW I fill a 5g food grade white bucket. I use a Marineland MJ1200 pump I received in a kit to mix the bucket as salt is added and mix the solution.

My problem is when I mix a batch for more then 4-6 hours, the water starts turning green , I get a green line around the water line and when I pull the pump out, it comes out with green specs all over it, almost like a saw dust texture just green. If I leave it for 10-12 hours not only is there the green I just described but the temperature is also at tank temperature, 80-82f. (I don't use a heater in the mixing bucket). The pump is also very warm when I remove it from the water.

I regularly clean all the equipment with vinager and a RODI rinse.

I do not store SW because I don't want to let it sit in this condition so I use it right when I make it. I would like to have at least 1 bucket on hand all the time.

Can the PH really be causing this to happen. Can somebody recommend a cost effective pump to use. Money is tight due to getting married.

Thanks

gbru316
09/26/2013, 08:45 AM
If you think it's the pump, soak it in a bleach solution for a while, give it a good rinsing, and try again.

reeferstace
09/26/2013, 09:21 AM
Powerheads do not cause algae. Algal spores do. :)

As already suggested, I would soak all the equipment used in a 10% sodium hypochlorite solution and then make sure you keep your bucket covered as much as possible while mixing to help eliminate contamination.

Bpb
09/26/2013, 09:25 AM
+1 on dark mixing. I mix all my sw in a dark room and covered containers. I also never mix for longer than 4 hours or so. That has majorly cut down on precipitate due to what I'm guessing is heat related

reefkeep3r
09/26/2013, 11:46 AM
What is a good bleach solution. 1:10?

thegrun
09/26/2013, 11:51 AM
I use three parts water, one part bleach.

reefkeep3r
10/10/2013, 04:40 PM
I did a 3:1 mixture, let the equipment sit for 30-45min and did 2 rinses with RODI water. I let it dry over night, today I still smell a little bleach smell in the bucket.

Are the buckets and equipment good to mix with again or do I need to do more rinsing. If I need to do more is there a trick to doing it.

gbru316
10/10/2013, 04:55 PM
If you can still smell it, I'd play it safe and keep rinsing. You could also use a dechlorinator.