PDA

View Full Version : 75 gallon to a 150

AJ460
09/27/2013, 07:13 AM
I am in a 75 gallon tank right now and want to go to a 150. Not really sure how to do this. I would be adding 75 gallons of fresh saltwater so does this mean I will go thru another cycle. I just don't want to harm the fish. Is there some steps I should start taking when I get closer to doing my move.

thanks for the help

kzickovich
09/27/2013, 07:29 AM
If I'm not mistaken cycles happen because of die off. As long as you match up PH,Alk,Temp, and salinity you should be fine.

AJ460
09/27/2013, 07:35 AM
If I'm not mistaken cycles happen because of die off. As long as you match up PH,Alk,Temp, and salinity you should be fine.

ya im just not sure that's why I am putting it out there

thegrun
09/27/2013, 11:02 AM
The question is what are you doing for additional rock? To avoid a cycle I would first cycle the new rock in a separate container/tank before adding it to the new tank. You could transfer your existing rock, water and livestock (but not the sand) now to the new tank without causing a cycle but you should not add additional livestock until you get more live rock in the new tank. If you try to transfer the sand from your existing tank or add new "live" sand you risk starting a cycle. If you wash new dry sand you can add it directly to the new tank without danger.

AJ460
09/27/2013, 12:13 PM
I was thinking of not doing sand at all