PDA

View Full Version : Genesis question

Jrflanagan
09/27/2013, 12:56 PM
If I understand the way the system works correctly, a pump pumps water up to a metering tank and then once it's metered another valve opens up releasing the water to flow by gravity into a sump? Is this correct? Is there a way to have the water pumped into the tank?

I'm looking at the system for a freshwater setup (though I'd like whatever setup I go with to be able to accommodate a future change to saltwater).

My setup does not have a sump below the tank and the water would have to go up and over the tank wall so I wouldn't be able to be able to rely on gravity.

Any ideas?

GenesisReefSys
09/28/2013, 12:33 PM
Hi Jrflanagan,

I think your understanding of the system is pretty good.

I know some people have used condensate pumps on the drain line of the Metering Reservoir(s) to accomplish what you indicate you would like to do. I'm not sure exactly how they had things set up, but I suspect you will need to tee into the tubing at the low point and bring a breather tube up to the top of the Metering Reservoir so that the water from the Metering Reservoir can flow down to the condensate pump's switch. Otherwise, without the vent (breather tube), an air dam can be created which will prevent the water from flowing.

Also, I don't know the compatibility of most condensate pumps with salt water; I would thoroughly investigate that before committing to this method if/when you move to salt water.

Hope this helps!

Have a great weekend,
Kevin

Jrflanagan
09/28/2013, 02:06 PM
Thank you. I appreciate the advice.