PDA

View Full Version : Issue Rock Stored for About a Year?

RDuhb
09/29/2013, 08:08 AM
I've had some leftover dry rock and live rock sitting in a bucket of saltwater for almost a year now. The bucket was covered, but there was no heater or power head. The once live rock is now as pale as the dry rock. Is there any issue with just adding it to the tank?

billdogg
09/29/2013, 08:11 AM
after a year in a bucket, I would treat it as if it were dead as well. Rinse it all well and clean off any obvious debris, then add it to the tank.

MondoBongo
09/29/2013, 08:12 AM
does it have any funny smell to it?

i would probably rinse it very well in the least. maybe even let it soak in some fresh RODI water for a couple days.

the conventional wisdom i have seen about adding rock to an established system is to go slow. only add about 10% at a time, maybe once every two weeks to keep from kicking off a cycle. even if the rock is dry.

my most recent rock addition was rejuvenated with bleach and muriatic acid, then soaked in freshwater for a few weeks that was changed once a week, then added to my QT system with some new corals and let sit for 10 weeks before i started adding it to the display.

i am willing to admit that was totally overkill. :)

RDuhb
09/29/2013, 08:57 AM
does it have any funny smell to it?

:)

No smell at all. I was actually surprised when I took the top off the bucket. I poured off that water and replaced it with water from a DT water change.

Thanks everyone!!